Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III

Current selection field names display

I have a slight issue with the current selection box. 

In all reports, it is possible to change the field name. The database field name might be called something strange, not recognizable for the common user, i.e. "Rev_Rec_Year_Month". I would like to be able to have the current selection box show a "translated" name instead of the raw data field name. Such as "Invoice period" in this case. Only I would know what the field names are. Sometimes it is obvious of course, but other times not.

Is this possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Yes, it (use of qualifying or any custom prefixes) will be often done in this way but it doesn't change the matter in regard to providing the user understandable fieldnames and in case of quite similar ones (like period fields from different calendars) an easy possibility to distinguish them. This means you need to translate the prefix, too and/or you find ways to build the datamodel different by avoiding the need of such prefixes.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

In View it's not possible and AFAIK in Sense there are workarounds for it. But it's better to rename all fields within the script and this could be the last script-step so that all development work could be done with the db-names and only the user of the reports get the translated ones. Take a look here: How-to-Rename-Fields especially on the mapping-method.

- Marcus

MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks,

I do rename field names as often as I can, but sometimes I need to add a prefix to the field name in order not to have conflicts.

/Mathias

marcus_sommer

Yes, it (use of qualifying or any custom prefixes) will be often done in this way but it doesn't change the matter in regard to providing the user understandable fieldnames and in case of quite similar ones (like period fields from different calendars) an easy possibility to distinguish them. This means you need to translate the prefix, too and/or you find ways to build the datamodel different by avoiding the need of such prefixes.

- Marcus