cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anothergreg
Contributor III
Contributor III

Date format will not change

I'm not sure how to explain this situation other than there is an obvious date field in my data which absolutely refuses to change its format.  I have a binary load from a workspace that I don't have access to so I can't go deeper into the source data, but regardless I've looked at every value within the field in question and it is consistently in a DDMMMYYYY format.  I can't attach the workspace due to size.

I have tried changing the field's date format within the document properties "Number" tab as well as using syntax in chart tables to explicitly change it to another format.  No matter what format I attempt or route I take, the field stubbornly stares at me in its DDMMMYYYY state.  I doubt it's a data issue because I've gone through every line to see if there is some anomaly that I'm not catching, but it looks totally acceptable.

Has anybody had this happen before?  Is there a bug that's causing this?

Message was edited by: Gregory Matthews - adding screenshots

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

What version of QlikView you are using?

Also just place a list box (Filter) of the date field. Now observe the values, if those are on left side it means its a text value and if its in right side, it means it is the date field.

If its a test value then non of your formating will work unless you convert it to date first using Date#() function.

Edited:

Looking at the images you shared, it seems its a text format.

Try this in dimension

=Date(Date#(Fieldname,'DDMMMYYYY'),'MM-DD-YYYY')

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

What version of QlikView you are using?

Also just place a list box (Filter) of the date field. Now observe the values, if those are on left side it means its a text value and if its in right side, it means it is the date field.

If its a test value then non of your formating will work unless you convert it to date first using Date#() function.

Edited:

Looking at the images you shared, it seems its a text format.

Try this in dimension

=Date(Date#(Fieldname,'DDMMMYYYY'),'MM-DD-YYYY')

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
anothergreg
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Kaushik,

Thank you so much; this worked.  I was attempting to just use date() but had not tried date(date#()).  You are correct, QlikView sees it as a text field.