Not applicable

Dates & Calendar

Hello Experts,

I face this issue almost all the time and I am not sure how to handle this

Say I have 3 tables

1. Customer Quotes

2. Customer Orders

3. Customer Master

What is the recommended process to select by dates/month/year? Both, quotes and orders tables have dates but they are going to be different so should they be linked at all or only month and year should be linked for these dates? If I create another calendar table and link both quotes and order table to it, I get stuck with a circular loop.

What is the recommended process and how do experts handle this?

thanks,

Manoj Agrawal

4 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Join the Two Tables Quotes and Orders But make sure the date should be different i.e. Quotation Date and Order Date.... Now create a Canonical Date Calendar as per below link

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/02/17/canonical-date

Not applicable
Author

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the reply and this is a very good technique but as per Henric's post

"The canonical calendar fields are excellent to use as dimensions in the chart but somewhat confusing when used for selections. For this the fields from standard calendar are often better"

My problem is 'the selections'.

thanks,

Manoj

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Kindly provide sample data along with your requirements in excel file. Would work on the same to help you out...

Not applicable
Author

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the help but nothing specific, just want to know the best practices or tips to handle dates in multiple tables for selection purpose.

If we take the previous example of orders and quotes, I know that it is not correct to link the quote dates and order dates and the best way to handle this that I have figures so far is to link the order months and quote months (and years) and create selections on Months and Years. If I create a standard calendar I get a loop because of the customer number.

Is there a better way?

Manoj