cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II

Dates On Bar Graph Not Sorting Properly

Hi Everyone - hoping to get some guidance.  I have a bar chart (picture attached) that shows the number of credit card charges by Month/Year.

I create this Month/Year as a calculated dimension since I do not have this data resident in any of my tables.  When I try to sort by this value I cannot get the proper calendar sorting.  Is this due to the calculated dimension?  Would this work better if I created both the month and year in my script and then concatenated them?

The sorting is set to text at the moment and I know that is not correct.

Appreciate your help!

George

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The calculated dimension you created has only text values (because you concatenate strings) and therefore can only be sorted as text.

To fix that you should use a date field. Date fields are numbers, with a textual display format. I assume CC_TRAN_DTX is a date field. A good solution is probably to create a new field in the load script in the table that contains the CC_TRAN_DTX  field: Date(MonthStart(CC_TRAN_DTX ),'MMM YYYY ') as CC_TRAN_Month
Then use that new field CC_TRAN_Month as dimension in your chart. You could also try Date(MonthStart(CC_TRAN_DTX ),'MMM YYYY ')  as calculated dimension in your chart. But real fields perform better than calculated dimensions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The calculated dimension you created has only text values (because you concatenate strings) and therefore can only be sorted as text.

To fix that you should use a date field. Date fields are numbers, with a textual display format. I assume CC_TRAN_DTX is a date field. A good solution is probably to create a new field in the load script in the table that contains the CC_TRAN_DTX  field: Date(MonthStart(CC_TRAN_DTX ),'MMM YYYY ') as CC_TRAN_Month
Then use that new field CC_TRAN_Month as dimension in your chart. You could also try Date(MonthStart(CC_TRAN_DTX ),'MMM YYYY ')  as calculated dimension in your chart. But real fields perform better than calculated dimensions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for your guidance.  I always struggle with the date formats and normally confuse them with some other tools I use.  This worked perfectly!