Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deallocate memory from server

Is it possible that the memory used up by a previously opened document is released when no user is accessing that document? I see that the qvs.exe continues to hog up the memory even when no user is currently accessing that document. I know restarting the QlickView server service would resolve that, but it would not be a practical solution.

Thanks,

Dinesh.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Dinesh,

There are several timeouts to control that. You have two timeouts in the document itself, in the Settings menu, Document Properties, Server tab.

The other are in your Enterprise Management Console, browsing to "System", "Setup", QlikView Servers (expand to select your server), and on the right pane "Documents" and "Performance".

This will allow QlikView server to terminate inactive sessions and release cpu and memory.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Dinesh,

There are several timeouts to control that. You have two timeouts in the document itself, in the Settings menu, Document Properties, Server tab.

The other are in your Enterprise Management Console, browsing to "System", "Setup", QlikView Servers (expand to select your server), and on the right pane "Documents" and "Performance".

This will allow QlikView server to terminate inactive sessions and release cpu and memory.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your response. All these settings which you mentioned, terminates a user session, but does not mean that it will de-allocate the memory. Are you sure that the memory de-allocation will happen after the session time-out? I do not see any qlickview process in the task manager for the specific user, & hence my question...What is a user session in the physical sense?

Thanks,

Dinesh.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The document memory should be released after all users sessions have ended and "Document TImeout" setting has expired.

There is not a seperate task for each user session. User sessions are maintained and tracked within the qvs.exe task.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Guys,

We are on version 9.0.7646.9 and I have checked the settings you mentioned above.

We have 48 GB of memory and around 37 GB are used at peak on a typical day.

Each morning (before reloads and users come in), the memory used is still up in the 33 to 35 GB range.

All the reloads are dropping tables, the timeout is set to 30 minutes and none of the documents have settings that would cause them to stay in memory.

what else can I check ? Is there any way to determine what documents are in memory at any given time?

It just seems like memory should be dropping WAY below that number.

Thanks, TD

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

todwith1d wrote:Is there any way to determine what documents are in memory at any given time?

You can see what documents and user sessions are active in the QEMC "QVS Statistics".

When you come in in the morning and memory is high, does QVS Statistics show any documents in memory?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

I will look at that in the AM.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's disembodied data 🙂 or remnants from a failed scripts. Is that even possible ?

This machine sees a lot of development and, I suspect, script failures after some data has been loaded into memory. Is that data trashed after the document is closed for the document expiration time ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

todwith1d wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if it's disembodied data 🙂 or remnants from a failed scripts. Is that even possible ?

Your initial post said the memory was being accumulated in the qvs.exe task. Scheduled reloads (scripts) run in spawned tasks qvb.exe, so that memory will be released when the reload ends. Developer work on this machine would run in a qv.exe task which would be released when the QV Developer session is closed. So, no, script executions should have no effect on qvs.exe memory. qvs.exe is only used to serve up documents to users.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

logical. thanks for the lesson.

no documents or users in the statistics view this am.

I may restart the service and start collecting statistics from scratch to get a better handle on things