Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete Assigned CAL

I want to cleanup old CAL which were assigned. I go to QEMC/System/Licenses/Select QlickView Server/Client Access Licenses/Assigned CAL & hit the delete button. I see that the UTC is already in the past. I now see a text (not a button) called 'Remove' and an 'Undo' button.

• How can I actually release the CAL?
  • Is it also possible to delete the CAL even if the UTC period has not yet expired?

Thanks,

Dinesh.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Dinesh,

You are able to quarantine your CALs since they are not in use, and they will stay quarantined for 24 hours. Should the CAL has not been in use for 24 hours, you should be able to delete it. Otherwise, you will have to wait for that period of time. After that you will be able to delete it.

Regards.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Dinesh,

You are able to quarantine your CALs since they are not in use, and they will stay quarantined for 24 hours. Should the CAL has not been in use for 24 hours, you should be able to delete it. Otherwise, you will have to wait for that period of time. After that you will be able to delete it.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Is there no way in which I can free up the CAL immediately? Not even deleting the pgo files? What is the reason behind waiting for 24 hrs?

Thanks,

Dinesh.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

As far as I know, there is no other way. It's likely to do with some licensing control from QlikTech (my guess), but since I'm not a QlikTech rep, I suggest you to contact yours or wait for any employee to check this post.

If I were you I wouldn't delete any file from the server, because they may corrupt your instalation or your files.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

As far as i know it is licence issue. Qlik Teck will allow you to delete people who no longer work for your company, but will not allow you to delete a CAL, use it for 20 minutes, delete the CAL again & let someone else use it.

So they want you to buy more user licences(User Cals) or session Cals. Session Cals are more expensive but allow many users to share a QV licence (one at a time)

Hope this helps.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

thonipad wrote:How can I actually release the CAL?

If it has been 24 hours since last use, click the "Apply" button to perform the actual removal. If it has not been 24 hours, the "Quarantined Until" will be filled in.

thonipad wrote:Is it also possible to delete the CAL even if the UTC period has not yet expired?

No.

-Rob

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

thonipad wrote:What is the reason behind waiting for 24 hrs?

The Named User CAL is meant to be assigned to a person. Qliktech recognizes that people leave jobs or change assignments and allows Named CALs to be reassigned on a reasonable frequency. The 24 hour rule prevents someone from writing automation that quickly swaps CALs in and out to defeat the licensing agreement.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks. I did not see the 'Apply' button way in the bottom right. Not too intuitive though. Guess my expectations from QlickView was way too much after using the best intuitive interface in the Desktop client!!!

Appreciate your help,

Dinesh.