cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debsahoo
Contributor III
Contributor III

Difference between SK and ID

If a fact table contain Customer_id, Customer_sk, Product_id, Product_Sk . I know all ID is primary_key of respective dimension table. But what is SK . Is SK stands for surrogate_key or Any other key. If what then why we are using?

Please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

SK - In qlik, We can call it as Synthetic Key ..In a DB it called "Unique Identifier" ..

So, To understand better please check with DB team. They will help you for sure

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
sushil353
Master II
Master II

Hi Deb,

SK must be surrogate key in your case, Surrogate key is a unique identification key for dimension tables. Surrogate key is always single numeric key to improve the performance of join we use surrogate key to join dimension to the fact table as they are numeric keys.

Hope this help.

~Sushil

debsahoo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

How to check with DB team.

debsahoo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Can composite key act like surrogate key.?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

You need to contact Database team who sitting in your live project surrounding. So, Once you contact them they will help you exactly what does these field names are and they will guide you to understand little in detail of your part of need.

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
its_anandrjs

I believe SK means Super Key Or Surrogate Key which contains Numeric value and which is easy to load or identify on the data model.