cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Different behaviour between files with same data

Hi all,

I have two files:

- the first one downloads data via ODBC from database server through some SQL instructions;

- the second one attaches to first one via binary instruction.

So data model is exactly the same.

I'm in a situation where if I apply an identical series of selections on both files then on a specific table in the first one I have a (correct) result, on the same table in the second one I see a subset of the first one (uncorrect).

The only thing I could see is that the complementary subset that's not loading has a column with null values, but also handling this (i.e. replacing the null value with a 0) nothing happens.

Unfortunately I can't upload any file because the original ones are too sensible and I'm not able to replicate with a sample dataset: so generally which could be the reasons of such behaviour?

Thanks, regards.

--

Marco Pikiri

11 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think that at least one column from the second file is not iterpreted correctly (something like data field that has not a valid data or numerical representation)

Maybe even strange characters

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Is there section access with data reduction involved in your setting?

And you are maybe accessing with two different users?

Have you checked the data model is exactely the same, and number of rows in tables are the same?

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

First thought, do you have any variables included in the calculations?

Not applicable
Author

Swuehl,

as a newbie I don't know what is a section access, so I would think answer is no.

But yes, I'm accessing with different users (first file resides on a Windows 2012 server, the second one on my local Win7): what can I check then?

About data model, do you mean to check it with Ctrl+T shortcut? If so, it's quite hard for me because I have like 60-70 tables involved... At a first look they seem to be identical.

Also number of rows is the same.

Kind regards.

--

Marco Pikiri

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I have some variables, I have now removed the unnecessary ones, reloaded the second file, but still the same bad result.

Regards.

--

Marco Pikiri

Not applicable
Author

Going deeper into this, I could check it better because there is also a complementary table where this event doesn't occur.

Regards.

--

Marco Pikiri

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Section access with data reduction could explain what you see, if you log in with different users, these users might have different row based data access rights. This would explain that User B sees 'a subset' of User A.

Could you try logging in with the same user?

Not applicable
Author

Tried with same user, but unfortunately same behaviour.

Regards.

--

Marco Pikiri

Not applicable
Author

Nothing happened, I filled some TEXT function directives to joining fields between tables, but same result...

Regards.

--

Marco Pikiri