Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dimension limits to specific values + show others

Hello

In a stacked bar chart (and in a pie chart) where there's one dimension with many possible categories (e.g. dimnesion = "Products", categories: "House","Beauty","Bathroom"...), is there a way to limit the presentation to specific categories you define (e.g. House and Bathroom) and show "Others" as well (as you would in a normal dimension limits option).

What I did was to just define the categories I wanted in the expression of the chart, but this way I can't show the total for the others...

Thanks for your help!

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

a calculated dimension may help, try this:

if( Products =  'House' or Products = 'Beauty' or Products = 'Bathroom', 'Others')

HtH

Roland

Sorry: better is this:

if( Products =  'House' or Products = 'Beauty' or Products = 'Bathroom', Prducts, 'Others')

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Roland,

Your answer is correct, but there is a shorter way using match() function.  And, posibly aggr() is needed too:

aggr(if(match(Products,'House','Beauty','Bathroom', Products, 'Others'), Products)

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

you are right, forgot about this shorter way.

But I don't see the aggr()-fanction to be used. There are no aggregations to be done.

Regards

Roland

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Agree, in this case it should work without aggr, so I said "possibly".  So, this should be enough:

(if(match(Products,'House','Beauty','Bathroom', Products, 'Others')

(Just a habit, in my cases aggr is almost always needed.)

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Michael, Roland - thanks a lot for your replies.

Michael - are you sure this is the right syntax? (what you wrote in your last message)

I get error in calculated dimension

when i try to close the last parens I get the curly red line underneath it, and when I don't - the first parens is highlighted in red. Very confusing.

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I always mess the '()'...  This should work:
if(match(Products,'House','Beauty','Bathroom'), Products, 'Others')

Not applicable
Author

Let me answer, Michael won't be angry.

His expression is missing a ') ' after 'Bathroom' -->

if(match(Products,'House','Beauty','Bathroom'  )  , Products, 'Others')

So long

R

Not applicable
Author

Oh, lost 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm never angry