Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beginnertom
Contributor III
Contributor III

Display hierarchy dimension in pie chart.

Year.pngMonth.pngHi Everyone, 

I am looking for a solution to display dimension in pie charts, i read a lot of post in forum, generally, they suggest using a new expression to display the dimension, but the expression only can state in one dimension, but refer to my sample file, i create a  hierarchy groups by year and month, if I use below solution, once i click the pie chart 2018 side, it will go to Month level, but the dimension shown in the pie chart, will still appear as 2018 in month level.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-QlikView/Dimension-as-label-in-pie-chart/m-p/738411

https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-QlikView/Display-Dimension-Labels-in-Pie-Chart/td-p/1105146

How can I display the hierarchy group dimension in the pie chart? 

Thanks to everyone who can answer my question.

Labels (2)
6 Replies
hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Have you tried using a Cycle Group?  You may have to do some data work, but that should work.  You will need to create a Year field and a month field.  I recommend that you do this in a Master Calendar.  Then, create a new Group, make it a cycle group, and add Year and then add Month.  

You can change the dimension of the chart from the Year to Month, and back again, without selecting a Year, like you have in your Hierarchy group.  

Good Luck,

Nate

beginnertom
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Nate,

thanks for your reply, you mean using cycle group will different compare with drill-down group?

But i change the dimension to cycle group didn't find a way to show the hierarchy dimension inside the pie chart segments. 

Would you mind to modify my qvw to show me the method you suggest?

Since I am new for qlikview, you mean mastercalendar can help me to label the dimension inside the pie chart segments?

Thanks for all your kindly help. 🙂

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

If you absolutely have to show the hierarchy in your data Viz, then you can simply add the needed dimensions to the Pie chart, which I have done.  It looks awful, not going to lie.  However, a Tree Map is better suited for the task of displaying a hierarchy, within proportions/shares.  I have added an example to the Solution file and attached it.  

Cycle groups allow you to change a dimension within an object.  it doesn't have to be hierarchical.  Drill-down groups allow you to dynamically navigate a hierarchy by using selections.  Both have their place, but it is important to understand the functionality.  In this case, I don't know that forcing a hierarchy into a Pie chart is a good move.  Take a look at the Tree Map.  It is best suited for this use case.

Nate

beginnertom
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Nate, 

i read your solution, but my question is to display the dimension inside the pie chart segments according to my hierarchy dimensions.

For example, I create a group like a year and month which call time group, if the dimension now is a year, it shows the year like 2019/2018 inside the pie chart segments.

If I click one year, the pie chart will go down to month level and the dimension will now display month but not month. 

Thanks!

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I'm not sure you can get the Pie chart to perform exactly like you want it to.  I think the Tree Map is designed for this purpose and will fit the need well.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Try the following Design Blog post, not sure if it helps or not, but it is worth a read I think...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Unbalanced-n-level-hierarchies/ba-p/1474325

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.