Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Display max value based on dimensions values

Hi,

I'm new to QlikView and I'm trying to accomplish something that seems to me quite easy, but couldn't find the solution so far. I have one table like the next one:

KEY;DESCRIPTION;VALUE

1;Desc1;Value1

2;Desc1;Value2

3;Desc2;Value3

4;Desc2;Value4

How can I retrieve the value for the max KEY aggregated by description. The correct output would be:

2;Desc1;Value2

4;Desc2;Value4

I want to build a chart where the Description is the dimension and I only want to display the value for the maximum key (no sums or counts).

If it was in SQL it would be something like this;

select max(key), description, value from table

group by description, value;

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
manas_bn
Creator
Creator

Andre,

In that case you can use the below code to create another flag. It orders by Description and Key and assigns "1" for the description with max(Key).

FinalTable:

load DESCRIPTION, VALUE,KEY,

if(DESCRIPTION=Previous(DESCRIPTION),0,1) as Flag

Resident SourceTable

Order by DESCRIPTION,KEY desc;

You can add Description and Value as dimensions and Flag as expression. It will display only the records which have flag=1 (the ones with the highest value of KEY). If you do not wish to show the FLAG column in the front end, go to presentation tab and hide the column. I have added a few more rows to your data just to make sure...

Capture.PNG.png

Cheers!

Manas

View solution in original post

7 Replies
manas_bn
Creator
Creator

Hello,

If DESCRIPTION is the only dimension, you can just use Max(KEY) as the expression.

Else, you can use aggr function - aggr(max(KEY),DESCRIPTION)

Hope this helps!

Manas

MayilVahanan

HI

Try like this

Load max(key) as Key, description, value from table

group by description, value;

Or

Description as dimension, max(Key) and Sum(value) as expression

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
manas_bn
Creator
Creator

If you want to limit the no of rows during reload itself, you can use left join, like in the below code.

source:

load * Inline [

KEY,DESCRIPTION,VALUE

1,Desc1,Value1

2,Desc1,Value2

3,Desc2,Value3

4,Desc2,Value4];

final:

load DESCRIPTION, max(KEY) as KEY Resident source

Group by DESCRIPTION;

left join(final)

load KEY, DESCRIPTION,VALUE Resident source;

drop Table source;

Not applicable
Author

Have you looked into AGGR function too

AGGR(max(key),description)

Not applicable
Author

I already took a look at the aggr function. If I use aggr(max(KEY),DESCRIPTION), it will return me the maximum key for every description. But how can I filter the expression just to retrieve the VALUE at the maximum KEY for every DESCRIPTION?

In the presented example, I want a chart that contains a column with Desc1 and Value1, and another column with Desc2 and Value 4 without restricting the data being loaded.

Thanks!

manas_bn
Creator
Creator

Andre,

In that case you can use the below code to create another flag. It orders by Description and Key and assigns "1" for the description with max(Key).

FinalTable:

load DESCRIPTION, VALUE,KEY,

if(DESCRIPTION=Previous(DESCRIPTION),0,1) as Flag

Resident SourceTable

Order by DESCRIPTION,KEY desc;

You can add Description and Value as dimensions and Flag as expression. It will display only the records which have flag=1 (the ones with the highest value of KEY). If you do not wish to show the FLAG column in the front end, go to presentation tab and hide the column. I have added a few more rows to your data just to make sure...

Capture.PNG.png

Cheers!

Manas

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

you can do it at graph time using "FirstSortedValue" as below:

FirstSortedValue(DESCRIPTION,-KEY) and

FirstSortedValue(VALUE,-KEY)