Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taylor_jesse
Creator
Creator

Document Time Out

Hi,

We are having an issue of usage cals. We currently have 400 in license however everyday it runs out very quickly. I am trying to find alternatives to free up spaces from other users. How does the document time out help with this issue? Will setting it to maybe 120mins or even 60 mins help to free up usage cals? If how can this problem be resolved without buying additional licenses. We are a small company.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The value is typically set server-wide on the QMC System, Setup, Server, Performance tab.

It can also be set at an individual document level either in the QMC Documents, Performance tab or the QVW Document Properties, Server tab.

The smaller of the two settings is the effective setting for any given session.

-Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's not the document timeout you want to decrease. It's the Session Timeout you want to decrease.

-Rob

taylor_jesse
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi,

Thank you for your response? Is that set up under the document tab?

Thank you

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The value is typically set server-wide on the QMC System, Setup, Server, Performance tab.

It can also be set at an individual document level either in the QMC Documents, Performance tab or the QVW Document Properties, Server tab.

The smaller of the two settings is the effective setting for any given session.

-Rob

taylor_jesse
Creator
Creator
Author

Sounds good. Its currently set at 1800 seconds. What do you recommend based on your experience?

Thank you

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

1800 seems to be default for the severs. Let us see what rwunderlich‌ has to suggest.

taylor_jesse
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes I agree. I set it to 1000 to see how that affects the usage cal.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Most people are happy with 1800 seconds, which gives you 30 minutes of idle time.  In tight license situations such as yours, people tend to make it smaller to be more aggressive in reclaiming licenses.  I would think that in your case you would want to make it smaller. For example, if someone has 35 minutes of activity and then times out 30 minutes later, you have used 65 minutes = 2 usage CALs.

If you ramp the timeout down, make sure you enable "Allow Session Recovery"  on the QMC System, Setup, Server, Documents tab.  This will allow your users to pick up right where they left off when they reconnect after timeout.

What I'm not sure about with Usage CALs is the effect of setting your timeout too low.  If a user has a 10 minute session and then times out and then has another 10 minute session within the same 60 minute window, does that consume 2 usage CALs?  That's an important point I'm not clear on.  Does anyone else know?

Other things you can do to maximize your license usage:

1. If using full browser version, teach users to use the "Close" button when they are finished with their session.

2. Use the IE Plugin which will terminate the session when the use closes the browser window.

Talk to your Qlik or Partner rep about converting those Usage CALs to something more suitable. It's fairly unusual in my experience to use Usage CALs every day. You may be "mis-licensed".

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

taylor_jesse
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Rob,

Great information Rob. You have a really good point about the usage cal. I will like to know also if that takes up more than 1 usage Cal.

Thank you