Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Drill-down in Dimensional Limits

I am making a bar chart showing expenses every month. On the first level I want to show all 12 months chronologically and against total expense. At the drilldown, I only want to show the top 3 types of expenses for that month. Dimensional limits either lets me show all 12 but then shows 12 expenses, or shows the top 3 months and then the top 3 expenses.

Is there a way to separate the drilldown dimensional limit from the first level dimension?

I really appreciate any thoughts!

6 Replies
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Try using the RANK() function in the Dimensional limits

Not applicable
Author

Hi Alan,

I see the checkbox that says "Restrict to 3 Largest" but would get me back to the problem of only showing 3 months and 3 expenses. Is there a way to write a rank function into the dimensional limits while restricting the values to 12 so that all the months are shown? Thanks!

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Is it possible to send me a copy of the file, I will try figure it out in the meantime

Not applicable
Author

I'm unfortunately not able to post the full file (confidential info! ). Let me give a concrete example below:

Monthly expenses are as follows:

Jan               1000

Feb               2000

March           1500

April              1400

May               2500

June              2400

July               1575

Aug               2100

Sept             1300

Oct               1900

Nov               1800

Dec               2010

If I drill down into January, I find that there are 20 expense categories that sum up to $1000 (rent, electrical, operations, IT support, labor, etc)

The top three expenses are

Rent - $400

Legal - $175

IT - $100

Would I be able to create a bar chart that shows all the months with total expenses, and then a drill down into Jan that would just show four bars - Rent, Legal, IT, and Other ($325)?

Please let me know if that's clear. Thank you!

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi,

I understand not what you are trying to achieve, let me try figure if it can be done

Regards

Alan

prabhuappu
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

use the following expression in the dimensions limit value,

=if(GetCurrentField(Group_Name)='expense categories',4,12)

Group_Name is drill down group name.

Regards,

Prabhu