Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic calculation for past months data

I want to calculate the percentage of tickets that are open at the end of every month.

Formula is : % open = count of tickets open at end of month/count of tickets submitted in that month.

BUT the challenge arises when the tickets are resolved and I want to show the open tickets for older months.

For instance if I were to look/calculate for a particular month in the past now, say November 2014;

I will count all the tickets with "Submit Date" < November but with Resolved Date > November,2014 or empty (ie. still open in February). Once I get this I can divide this by the count of tickets submitted in November to get the percentage I'm looking for.

Fields are :

• SubmitDate
  • ResolvedDate (will be empty for still open tickets)
  • IncidentID

Could someone please help me set this expression on my chart?

Best Regards,

Tony

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You need to replace a blank [Last Resolved Date] with Today() in some of the expressions. I would do the following (but I cannot test it since I don't have source data, so beware of bugs...) This way, also incidents that are still open will have an end date for the range: Today.

Leave the first table as it is. Change the second table to:

Months:

Load

MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) < RangeMin( Today() +1, [Last Resolved Date] ) as Open,

IterNo() = 1 as IsSubmissionMonth,

Date(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1),'YYYY MMM') as Month,

[Incident Number]

Resident Incidents

While MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) <= RangeMin( Today(), MonthEnd([Last Resolved Date]) ) ;

HIC

View solution in original post

7 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Could you attached your file?

Excel or qvq

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Please find attached file as requested, I have added only the relevant  fields to cut down on the size.

Also I'm including the expected chart as i make in Excel for your reference please.Carry Forward Tickets_Sample.jpg

Hoping to hear on your solution.

Best Regards,

Tony

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would solve this in the data model, by generating all months between the submission and the resolution.

Incidents:

LOAD

[Submit Date],

[Last Resolved Date],

Floor([Last Resolved Date] - [Submit Date]) as DaysOpen,

[Service Line],

[Incident Number]

FROM [Raw_Sample_for QV Blog v4.xlsx] (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet3);

Months: // Months between the submit date and resolved date

Load

MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) < [Last Resolved Date] as Open,

[Incident Number]

Resident Incidents

While MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) <= MonthEnd([Last Resolved Date]) ;

With the above script, you can use Month as dimension and the following two expressions to calculate the number of open cases and the number of submitted cases:

* Count ({$<Open={'-1'}>} distinct [Incident Number])

* Count ({$<IsSubmissionMonth={'-1'}>} distinct [Incident Number])

However, my numbers are different from your graph, so you should check them...

Image1.png

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric,

Thanks for this amazing reply. It took me some time to understand the code. Everything is working good but in my raw data provided earlier, I had stripped some data to reduce the size, hence I did not supply the tail end of the data where "Last Resolved Date" is blank since it is unresolved and still open.

As a result the code is not capturing those tickets where "Last Resolved Date" is blank. This is because the iteration for While function is counting only till the <= MonthEnd([Last Resolved Date]) (?)

I did try using my logic for a workaround, but failed.

Could you please help me with this little niggle?

Waiting with anticipation.

Best Regards,

Tony

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You need to replace a blank [Last Resolved Date] with Today() in some of the expressions. I would do the following (but I cannot test it since I don't have source data, so beware of bugs...) This way, also incidents that are still open will have an end date for the range: Today.

Leave the first table as it is. Change the second table to:

Months:

Load

MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) < RangeMin( Today() +1, [Last Resolved Date] ) as Open,

[Incident Number]

Resident Incidents

While MonthEnd(AddMonths(MonthStart([Submit Date]),IterNo()-1)) <= RangeMin( Today(), MonthEnd([Last Resolved Date]) ) ;

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric,

Smart and wonderful workaround. The logic is working just fine.

Thanks a ton,

Best Regards,

Tony

Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric,

Continuing from here, I have doubts regarding how to show the chart as per certain condensations. Could you please have a look into Dynamic Chart with conditional showcase of months and come up with your expert advice?

As always awaiting with anticipation.

Best Regards,

Tony