Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expression logic in Help Text or somewhere else?

Hi All,

A simple question there -

If a complex expression is written, how to educate the end users about it’s functionality and logic?
options could be Help Text/Comment/Text in chart/ Handover in a separate document.

For me it should be Help Text but I am confused if this could either be handed over in the form of some document.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

An expression doesn't have a help text. Charts do. If you want you can add the descriptions of all the expression in your chart in the chart help text, but that could get quite hard to read if you have a lot of expressions and/or large descriptive texts. A separate table that the user can show/hide with the click of a button usually works a lot better. Expressions do have a Comment option, but that shows only as a popup in a table if you hover over the label of the expression.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You could create an excel document that contains a table with the expressions and the description/explanation of the expression. You can load that table into the qlikview document so the contents is available as documentation in the qlikview document. You could also use this document to create variables for all the expressions and then use the variables in the charts. That way you can maintain everything in the excel file.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hey .. thanks for the response.. however this makes the confusion worse now for me .. I am just wondering why can't this go to help text .. I mean if you could just clear this doubt as what exactly should go in Help Text instead ?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

An expression doesn't have a help text. Charts do. If you want you can add the descriptions of all the expression in your chart in the chart help text, but that could get quite hard to read if you have a lot of expressions and/or large descriptive texts. A separate table that the user can show/hide with the click of a button usually works a lot better. Expressions do have a Comment option, but that shows only as a popup in a table if you hover over the label of the expression.