cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Filtered date not recognised as date

Hoping someone can help. I'm trying to produce a pivot table which is providing sub-total for applications based on the the final export date within a field called 'Date' which is filtered by an expression. The expression succeeds in pulling out the final export date per month for a particular session and is formatted as a date. However, the sub-totals are way higher than they should be which tells me that Qlikview doesn't recognise the filtered date as having values from the Date field. When I manually select a date within the Date field, the totals then look accurate. 

Date filter expression: =date(aggr(max({<Session={'2018/19'}>}Date),Month),'DD/MM/YYYY')

Sub-Total expression: =count([Applicant ID])

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Matt

Labels (4)
19 Replies
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Sunny! The subtotals are now looking accurate, although there seem to be a slight side effect in that, the pivot is not only showing one date, rather than showing the last export date for each month of the preceding year. Is there a way to tweak this to retain the accurate subtotals but to allow the pivot to also display the other month's export subtotals?

As always your advice is much appreciated.
sunny_talwar

@mattphillip wrote:
the pivot is not only showing one date, rather than showing the last export date for each month of the preceding year.

I am not sure I follow this? Would you be able to elaborate on this with an example?

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Sunny,

No problem. See below. This is what my pivot table currently looks like. It should instead feature multiple rows (for the last export of each month). Instead its listing only a single row. This can be changed by selecting a different date(s) but still only shows a single row.

End of Month Reports (2018/19)LevelPG ResearchPG TaughtUndergraduate
30/01/2018 21183323
sunny_talwar

Are you facing this issue when no selection is made? Because once a selection is made, you would only want to see a single row, right?

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Yes when no selection has been made the table is still only showing a single row rather than all the available rows.
sunny_talwar

Try this expression

If(GetSelectedCount(Month) = 0,
   Count([Applicant ID]),
   Count({$<Date = {"$(=MaxString(Date))"}>} [Applicant ID])
)

So, basically we will use the beginning expression when nothing is selected and only when something is selected in Month field, we will see the new expression with set analysis.

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Sunny I tried this but whilst it does now show multiple rows, its also showing the incorrect (very high subtotals) again. When I select more than on month it will also only display a single row.

Sorry to be taking up so much of your time.
sunny_talwar

I don't think I understand the issue you are running into. Would you be able to share a qvw/qvf sample to show the issue?

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Sunny,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was out of the office for a couple of days and my PC was being replaced with a shiny new laptop upon my return so I'm catching up a bit. Let me look at where we're at and try and better identify what the remaining issue might be.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Matt

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Sunny,

Right I've had a look at this again, and had another go. I've changed my approach slightly.

I've now went for a pivot table with one dimension (Level) and two expressions to achieve a table similar to the below:

LevelUGPGTPGR
End of <chosen month> (current session 2019/20)   
End of <chosen month> (previous session - 2018/19)   

The pivot includes two different expressions to count the applicants at the final export date of a chosen month and specified session:

=Count(max({$<Date = {"$(=vActiveSessionExp)"}>} [Applicant ID]))

=Count(max({$<Date = {"$(=vOldSessionExp)"}>} [Applicant ID]))

The variables above are populated as below to capture the the final export date for each month (not the final calendar date):

vActiveSessionExp

=date(aggr(max({$<Session={"$(=vActiveSession)"}>}Date),Month),'DD/MM/YYYY')

vOldSessionExp

=date(aggr(max({$<Session={"$(=vOldSession)"}>}Date),Month),'DD/MM/YYYY')

These variables in turn are populated as below to format the field vales for the Session field properly:

vActiveSession

=left(vCurrentSession,4)&'/'&right(vCurrentSession,2)

vOldSession

=left(vPreviousSession,4)&'/'&right(vPreviousSession,2)

These variables in turn are populated as below to capture the most recent and the second most recent session respectively:

vCurrentSession

= Max(TOTAL KeepChar(Session, '0123456789'), 1)

vPreviousSession

= Max(TOTAL KeepChar(Session, '0123456789'), 2)

Whilst I thought this might work, I'm getting an error message stating that 'Nested aggregation is not allowed'. If you have the time, would you mind taking a look to see where I've went wrong?

I tried the below expression in an attempt to fix it but keep getting the same message.

=Count(max({$<Date = {"$(=date(aggr(max({$<Session={"=left(aggr(Max(TOTAL KeepChar(Session, '0123456789'), 1),4)&'/'&right(aggr(Max(TOTAL KeepChar(Session, '0123456789'), 1),2)"}>}Date),Month),'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>})[Applicant ID]))))

Appreciated.

Matt