Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the Value which is difference of current and previous value of the same field

Hi all,

I am facing an issue wherein I want to display the Metric in the pivot chart. The value is difference of current value and previous value of the same field

Country Sector Region VolumePeriod
IndiaAutomobileSouth1300
USHealthCareSouth1400
UKTourismWest1500
JPNTechNorth1000
IndiaAutomobileSouth1803
USHealthCareSouth2003
UKTourismWest3003
JPNTechNorth503
IndiaAutomobileSouth2306
USHealthCareSouth3006
UKTourismWest4006
JPNTechNorth1006

What I desire is:

CountrySectorQ0Q1 (Q1-Q0)Q2 (Q2-Q1
IndiaAutomobile0180-130230-180
USHealthCare0200-140300-200
UKTourism0300-150400-300
JPNTECH 050-100100-50

Tried using the below expression:

(Sum(Volume)-Before(Sum(Voilume),1))

The issue with this expression is that when I select any quarter, it does not work.  If I don't select any quarter it works fine.

I tried to generate this field in my load script, but the numbers are not adding up.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

You point out an issue very similar to what I'd said.

"...user confusion about what is being selected when there are two different Period fields..."

I would probably hide the original Period field, and only let the users select the As Of Period field. And then to try to help avoid user confusion, I might change the name of Period to Real Period, and As Of Period to Period. So from the user's perspective, they're selecting the Period like normal. The problem then is that without further effort, every expression in the whole application has to take into account the fact that when they select a Period, you actually end up with two Real Periods being selected, and you have to exclude the one you don't want. I rarely use As Of tables, partly for this reason. When I have, I believe what I did was something more like this:

Period, Type, Real Period

0,Current,0

3,Current,3

6,Current,6

3,Previous,0

6,Previous,3

And then on open of the document, triggered selecting and locking Type = 'Current'. At that point, expressions will behave as you would expect them to when selecting the Period. The only time you need to worry about it is when you want something other than the current period. So then your chart would be like this:

Dimensions = Country, Sector, Period

Current Quarter = sum(Volume)

Difference Based on Quarters = [Current Quarter] - sum({<Type={'Previous'}>} Volume)

Our data model is no longer handling everything for us, and we're using set analysis to get the previous period. And that's fine, just not as clean a solution as I'd hope for.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Please try Above() and Before() functions

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Perhaps generate an AsOf table?

As Of Period,Period,Sign
3,0,-1
3,3,+1
6,3,-1
6,6,+1

Use As Of Period as the dimension instead of period, then this expression:

sum(Volume * Sign)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks John,

Can you please elaborate it for me. I am not able to get it.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

See below and attached. I did have to add one more row to the AsOf table to get zeros in your first column. Without it there was no link to the data at all, so the total was null intead of zero. Please let me know if you need further elaboration on how it's doing what it's doing.

[AsOf]:
LOAD num(fieldvalue('Period',recno())) as [Period]
AUTOGENERATE fieldvaluecount('Period')
;
LEFT JOIN ([AsOf])
LOAD [Period] as [As Of Period]
RESIDENT [AsOf]
;
INNER JOIN ([AsOf])
LOAD *
if([As Of Period]=0,0,if([As Of Period] = [Period],+1,-1)) as [Sign]
RESIDENT [AsOf]
WHERE match([As Of Period] - [Period],0,3)
;

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks John,

Implemented this solution, seems to work for calculating the difference of volumes. But I also have to show sum(volumes) across periods and their difference. If I use the As of Period as dim, I think I will not get correct results for Sum(Volume)

Country
SectorMetricQ0Q1 (Q1-Q0)Q2 (Q2-Q1
IndiaAutomobileDifference based on quarters0180-130230-180
AutomobileSum(Volume)130180230
USHealthCareDifference based on quarters0200-140300-200
HealthCareSum(Volume)140200300
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

You are right that you would not get correct results for sum(Volume). There are plenty of ways to fix it, but to stay consistent with what we're doing so far, instead of having a single sign, we could have a difference sign and a current sign. I can't modify the example from home, but something like this:

,if([As Of Period] = [Period],+1,0) as CurrSign

As Of Period, Period, DiffSign, CurrSign

0,0,0,+1

3,0,-1,0

3,3,+1,+1

6,3,-1,0

6,6,+1,+1

Difference Based on Quarters = sum(Volume * DiffSign)

Current Quarter = sum(Volume * CurrSign)

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

And chart inter-record functions would mostly work, and be simpler. I try to avoid them myself because, in this case for instance, I would want the difference to be correct even if the previous quarter is not currently selected. There are downsides to AsOf tables as well, though, such as user confusion about what is being selected when there are two different Period fields, and of course the script and data model complexity.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot, Still I have a doubt,if I use As of Period instead of Period as my dimension in the chart, wont it show incorrect data when a user will want to see the values against the periods. I want to have a list box in the report having Periods as filter. For instance my as of period is 3 where as quarter in 0.

It is possible to get the results in front end without selecting the prior period and yet getting the result in chart?

Thanks a lot for your insight..