Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sekharQV
Creator
Creator

Grand Total % values not matching with average of Column Percentages

Hi All,

I am struggling to understand how percentage values in Grand Total column are calculated in Pivot table.

I have attached the image and sample QVW file to make you understand my issue.

Actully user is asking about these grand totals are populated and i am not able to guide them.

I request you all, please let me know hoe these grantotals are calculated.Because it is not giving Average.

Also please let me know if i did any mistake while doing calculation.

Thanks in Advance,

Raja.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

So the difference between the two expression is this

Avg(Aggr(sum(OntimeFlag)/(sum(OntimeFlag)+sum(LateFlag)), [Customer No], Year, Month))

Simply ignores this -> Sum(OntimeFlag)/(Sum(OntimeFlag)+Sum(LateFlag)) calculation for the total rows and look at the available numbers at the row level and find its average

On the other hand, this Sum(OntimeFlag)/(Sum(OntimeFlag)+Sum(LateFlag)) performs the same calculation at the total level also. So basically, on your total row, it will first find the Sum(OntimeFlag) and Sum(OntimeFlag) + Sum(LateFlag) and then perform the division. The best way to see this would be to create above two expressions and see what numbers you have in the total and do the division in Excel or a calculator.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Actually, the average is being calculated correctly. The reason you aren't getting a match for the displayed values is that you have "Suppress zero values" checked. If you uncheck that, you will notice that there are several cells with 0 impacting the overall average.

sunny_talwar

It might also help to break down your expression into the two pieces you have in there

Sum(OntimeFlag)

Sum(LateFlag)

Capture.PNG

Looking at the total, you will understand that 4/(4+2) = 66.67% for customer 1 and the reason you don't really saw this was because for some of the months (like Mar) the OntimeFlag was 0... so you have this calculation 0/<Number> which is essentially 0 as orsh_ mentioned that because your chart was suppressing 0, you didn't really see those 0's.

sekharQV
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

As per your suggestion i have disabled "Suppress 0 values" and exported data to excel for validating data.

And i am able to get correct result for all customers except Customer1.

Surprisingly i am getting correct result for Customer1 when i am calculating average for only months of 2016.

I have attached the exported data excel with validated results.

Can you kindly please check and let me know your suggestions.

Thanks,

Raja

sunny_talwar

You can use this to get the Average

Avg(Aggr(sum(OntimeFlag)/(sum(OntimeFlag)+sum(LateFlag)), [Customer No], Year, Month))

Capture.PNG

sekharQV
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you Sunny for solution. But i am still i am wondering that why my earlier expression not giving correct result for Customer1.

if possible can you please enlighten how my earlier expression works.

sunny_talwar

So the difference between the two expression is this

Simply ignores this -> Sum(OntimeFlag)/(Sum(OntimeFlag)+Sum(LateFlag)) calculation for the total rows and look at the available numbers at the row level and find its average

On the other hand, this Sum(OntimeFlag)/(Sum(OntimeFlag)+Sum(LateFlag)) performs the same calculation at the total level also. So basically, on your total row, it will first find the Sum(OntimeFlag) and Sum(OntimeFlag) + Sum(LateFlag) and then perform the division. The best way to see this would be to create above two expressions and see what numbers you have in the total and do the division in Excel or a calculator.