Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator

Grid Chart Data points format

Hi, Ive been struggling with this for a while and its really beginning to bug me so thanks to anyone who has the answer.

Currently I have a Gridchart chart with all my data points equal to 1 as i want them all to be the same size. however I would like them to be taller than they are wide. surely this is possible? 

15 Replies
samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

exactly yes.

samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

Unfortunatly i dont have the full version of qlikview so im not sure if i will be able to open it if you send it back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are interested in showing the change over time then the best chart is the good old line chart. I noticed that you are trying to show the average speed by using a variation in the colour but this is hard for people to understand. Position is a far better indicator of value, followed by size and then by colour. I have used a bar chart in the example below as it shows up the colour scheme better.

Secondly, I think doing it to the minute might be a bit too granular. I have tried it to the hour and it gives an interesting pattern to the data. This will depend on what patterns you are trying to identify.

Thirdly, you might want to look into using the Trellis Chart option, on the general tab of any chart. This will take a dimension and use it to loop through, creating a version of the chart for each value. I have used it in the screenshot below with Geographic location used as the extra dimension..

Example.png

Let me know your thoughts and we can tweak it further.

samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

I agree that the simplest option is the Line chart, however a line chart doesnt give a true representation of the data.

Qlikview.PNG.png
Above is what im trying to replicate, currently I do it with a VBA macro, what it shows is the speed data on the greyscale and when signals are set. (Blue just means no data). The idea is to make it very easy to see when and where there is a queue building and how the signals react to it. Im trying to replicate this in qlikview so i can incorporate the drill down functionality and interrogate a longer time scale over a larger stretch of road.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this called a Ribbon Chart. Not a native QV chart type which would explain the problems.

I think you can achieve something similar using a pivot table. Create dimensions of Geography and time with an expression of "1". Then drag the time column label across so it becomes horizontal, essentially making a cross table of Geography and Time with each cell value as 1. Then apply your colour scheme to the expression to give the cells the correct colour shading.

You might hit some problems because of the amount of data and that enormous If statement. Perhaps you might be better off using the ColorMix wizard to make your colour scale, or calculate the colours as part of your load script so it doesn't have to be worked out on the fly every time a selection is made in the app. I would probably use the If statement for the blue colour and then if there are no special conditions use a colour value already calculated in the load script.

(as an aside, I've tried this with the app you provided and the performance is pretty poor with the number of columns you would need to show. I'm not sure if this is a data model issue, something to do with the pivot table or possibly a bug. I'll keep playing and post a solution if I find one.)

You could also use a show condition so the chart is only seen once a date or time period has been selected.

Another alternative, especially if you are used to coding, is to look into building a custom extension object to view the data exactly how you want. There are various resources around that describe the process and it is relatively straightforward, depending on your skill set. I've built objects using the D3 library and I have fairly minimal Javascript knowledge.

samuel_brierley
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you for the advice, doing the calculations in the load script probably makes the most sense. I may have to resort to the custom table though as the data i/we have been working with is a sample, its a fraction of the size that i would need to use.