Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Handling many tabs - Pick list using a multi-box

I am handling many tabs in my QV application with the following list box:

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 17.22.42.png

Within the sheet properties i have a conditional show based on the following expression:

=Match(QVUser(),'CHITEMERERE CHRIS') and if(GetFieldSelections(_View) = 'Patent Analytics', True(), False()) and user selecting the sheet to view from the multi box.

The fist part of the application limits sheet access to user 'CHITEMERERE CHRIS'.  If however another user with no access rights to the 'Patent Analytics' sheet selects 'Patent Analytics' in multi box depicted above, the application opens a tab which contains all the fields in my application which is as follows:

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 17.22.16.png

How can the application be configured to avoid this behaviour, say going to a default sheet like the 'Dashboard' or any other recommendations?

10 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

can you post an example please?

seems to me that there might be a misspelling.

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Is this a continuation of the same disucssion as the end of the previous one: Section Access Simplification‌ ?

If so, please close the other one or we're bound to loose track. Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

suggestion - I have used the Upper(OSUser()) function in a variable or variables, where I will set the variables based on the user logged in - the tab will then only show if the user that loggs in matches a name defined in the variable.  This sounds similar to what you are doing

My main question is the business/use case for the lsit box containing all of the sheets?

If there are no concitions around the values in the list, then all users will see all tabs that are in the applciation, even if they do not have access

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Adam, the business/use case for the multi box is that the number of tabs is too many and cluttering the user interface.  Hiding the tabs and using a multi box gives a more appealing user interface.

can you explain further the use of the Upper(OSUser()) function

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many thanks, closed and marked as assumed answered

Not applicable
Author

what I have done is defined a variable that calls the function.  The function checks the user name, including the domain and if they match, I set a variable.

I then have a conditional show on the tab that will only show the tabs based on what the user has access to.

I find it easier to manage than section access

=if (UPPER(OSuser())=domain\user1'
or UPPER(OSuser())=domain\user2'
or UPPER(OSuser())=domain\user3'
,1,0)))

The avove checks the name and sets the variable to 1 if the user that logs in matches a user in the list.  The show condtion on the tab will show only if the variable is set to 1

You can have multiple different values, almost like user roles where the variable of 1 is the lowes, and 10 is the highest

you would have multiple if tests like above and then the show contition would be based on the values

Not applicable
Author

also, in accesspoint, if there are enough tabs to scroll, over on the right is a down arrow that when clicked, will show all of the tabs in the application

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Adam for the two recent posts and input

Not applicable
Author

christoper - If you open your applciation either on accesspoint or on your desk top and seitch to web view, you will see a down arrow next to the left and right arrows - if you select it you should see a list of all of the tabs available (below is a sample but had to erase the name of some entries, but it should give you an idea)