Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retko1985
Creator II
Creator II

Having to save Qlikview document again after creating it with right click in the folder.

Hello,

when I create Qlikview document in windows folder - right mouse click - new - Qlikview Document, it always asks me to save it when reloading. Is this normal, or can it be bypassed?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

7 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

It's normal

avinashelite

Yes its normal

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe disable this setting for 'Save Before Reload'

2017-10-13 16_24_03-QlikView x64 - [E__Users_Stefan_Downloads_comm277946.qvw].png

avinashelite

Why it doesn't save automatically because all the changes might be good or bad so its a way to verify and save if required ...make sense !!

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Only happens the first time when you save it, overwriting a document of 0 bytes. Probably that 0-size situation that is causing this dialog to pop up... Just a guess though.

No, not really that. It's QV Desktop trying to act intelligently. When QV Desktop detects invalid content in the QVW document it has to overwrite, it will ask for confirmation. 0 bytes of information apparently isn't what it expected

retko1985
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Basically it has nothing to do with reload. If I create it this way, and then press CTRL+S it will ask me to specify location and name. Kinda weird behavior.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No it's not really weird behavior.

In the File ->Save As... dialog, you can point to any existing file for QlikView to overwrite. What should QV Desktop do when you point to a large Word document? Act as if nothing is out of order? I wouldn't like QV Desktop to overwrite a big proposal because I accidently specified the wrong file name. I guess that's why QV Desktop asks for confirmation when it has to overwrite a file it doesn't recognize as a valid QVW document.

It would be nice though if an additional check for the correct file extension could be added, because as I stated before a 0-length file with the correct extension will cause the same dialog to appear. QV Desktop obviously tries to recognize valid QVD documents by reading a so-called magic number from the file itself.

My 2cts.