Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farinaznz
Contributor
Contributor

Hide null values, but show zero values in chart

I have a chart like this:

qv.PNG

I want to keep the green, yellow, and pink lines as they are because their values are NULL before '01', '04', and '07', respectively. (the dimension ordering is correct! please don't mind the irregularity) but I want to show that the red line becomes zero after '11' and continues being zero! 

"Suppress when value is null" and "Suppress zero values" are checked. when I uncheck "Suppress zero values" I get this result:

qv2.PNG

so the problem is that QV treats the NULL values as Zeros. How can I prevent this from happening? How can I show when the red line (with actual zero values in the data) is zero but not show zeros when the values of other lines (with NULL values in the data) are missing?

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Qlik treats null as null,  my guess is that you have created a zero value.  If you are using aggregation functions then the aggregation will ingnore the null values. You will see that  SUM(Null()) = 0.

To get around this problem you could try to write your expression like this:

If( NumericCount(Field), Sum(Field), NULL()) 

You can also read Henric_Cronström  answer in an earlier post: Re: Set analysis returns 0, for null records 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
gavinlaird
Contributor III
Contributor III

You could make the line transparent when the value is null. Uncheck "Suppress zero values", then make the line color = if(NOT IsNull(<expression>), argb(0,0,0,0)).

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Qlik treats null as null,  my guess is that you have created a zero value.  If you are using aggregation functions then the aggregation will ingnore the null values. You will see that  SUM(Null()) = 0.

To get around this problem you could try to write your expression like this:

If( NumericCount(Field), Sum(Field), NULL()) 

You can also read Henric_Cronström  answer in an earlier post: Re: Set analysis returns 0, for null records 

farinaznz
Contributor
Contributor
Author

You were absolutely right. I was using some aggregation and therefore turning values into zeros. Thank you.