cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

High memory usage (RAM)

Hi,

For the last few months we have started to experience something new,

every now and then our memory climbs up to 190-255gb (we have 255 gb ram memory) and the only thing that helps is when we end the program "qvs.exe"

in those times we had a few users logged in and they all worked on the same model

Did anyone experience such a thing?

Do you know a tool that I can use, that will help me analysis the memory usage?

Thanks,

7 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Check this thread. Hope that helps: RAM usage high

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your replay! but I'm not sure this is the case

Our model takes about 40 gb, and when this happened we had a few users logged in (2 maybe 3) , I don’t see a reason why the memory should climbs to 190-255 gb

When that happened no users can log in, and the program is not responding 

We are using this server version for about a year, and this case started a few months ago

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In the early 11.xx (service) releases, there were a few problems with memory management (spikes in memory consumption, especially when using server objects). From your statement "We are using this server version for about a year..." I guess you're not using the latest SR. What version of QVS are you running (avoid 11.00 releases) and are there any objections to upgrading to SR12 ASAP?

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your replay Peter

We are using 11.2 SR5 and we are planning on upgrade to SR12

Do you know about problems with memory management in this SR?

Even if the users logged out, the memory remains the same

Is there any tool you can recommend to analyse the server's activity,  except the task manager

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Last few releases seem pretty stable to me. SR11 had a very large amount of bug fixes. IMHO you should switch to SR12 asap.

Note that the QlikView Server will grab as much memory as possible, and won't release it when users are logging off. QVS has its own memory manager and therefor it's not a bad thing when the service eats a lot of memory.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Just to stress this a bit more: QVS eating a lot of memory is not a bad thing. Check QMC->System->Setyp->QlikViewServers->Select yours->Performance->Working Set->High. If memory consumption goes over and stays over that high water mark, then the system probably is in trouble. Running at 99% is definitely not a good thing, as your machine will eventually (seem to) lock up.

A good tool to follow-up on resource usage and predict when more memory (or clustering) will be necessary is the QlikView Application: System Monitor v5.1.23 Moreover, this document is easy to install and maintain.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot!

we will upgrade in the next few weeks!