Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How QV handles association of Tables internally?

I am a beginer. I am curious to know how the tables get associated with the same Field names.

Could someone share your knowledge?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The best answer I can give is: automagically.

It's all a pointer mechanism. You should view all table columns that carry identical names as forming part of a single field that groups all discrete values from those different instances. Column values are replaced by bit-stuffed pointers that point to a symbol table where all individual field values are stored.

The Table Viewer may present a nice RDBMS-like overview, but IMHO the internal kitchen operates in a quite different way.

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

It is just as the relations  in data diagram of SQL or data base concept.

So just go through the Relations concept in the Database concepts .

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

In QlikView (or Qlik Sense) you do not have to define key field to link tables to each other. The tables will be assumed to be linked to each other if they have field with identical name.

My suggestion is that you start building your product knowledge by completing the free online training. It is really worth investing time in product training, so that you get a good foundation, as data modeling is essential to becoming a successful QlikView developer.

QlikView Free Training - Business Intelligence (BI) Reporting Software Solutions | Qlik

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The best answer I can give is: automagically.

It's all a pointer mechanism. You should view all table columns that carry identical names as forming part of a single field that groups all discrete values from those different instances. Column values are replaced by bit-stuffed pointers that point to a symbol table where all individual field values are stored.

The Table Viewer may present a nice RDBMS-like overview, but IMHO the internal kitchen operates in a quite different way.

Peter

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

the qv software is made like that(if the same field name is available then it'll map with other table same field name automatically).