Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Not applicable

How create custom product groups

Hi.

Our product names are set up the following way 1-1zz are Raw Materials, F-FZ are Finished Products and W-WZ are cartons etc.

Is there a way for me to set these up as custom groups so I can add them to my filter in Qlikview so people can just switch between looking at FG, RM or carton data?

The only way I can think of is to create an Excel spreadsheet with a list of every individual code and put them into groups that way, and then import the fields from the spreadsheet. This would be a hassle though, as everytime a new code is added (which is frequently), I'd have to update the spreadsheet.

Is there a way to add the groups into the code?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

I've understood that Raw Materials start with a '1', Finished Products with a 'F' and cartons with a 'W', is this correct?

If you have some logic like this, you could use something like

LOAD

ProductName,

pick( match(left(ProductName,1),'1','F','Z'),'Raw Materials','Finished Products','cartons') as ProductGroup,

FROM ...;

pick() is a conditional function and match() will return the index of the matching substring as input.

You could also use a mapping table and applymap in a similar way, but I think for few groups above is ok.

2 Replies
MVP
MVP

I've understood that Raw Materials start with a '1', Finished Products with a 'F' and cartons with a 'W', is this correct?

If you have some logic like this, you could use something like

LOAD

ProductName,

pick( match(left(ProductName,1),'1','F','Z'),'Raw Materials','Finished Products','cartons') as ProductGroup,

FROM ...;

pick() is a conditional function and match() will return the index of the matching substring as input.

You could also use a mapping table and applymap in a similar way, but I think for few groups above is ok.

Not applicable

Thank you.