Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trishita
Creator III
Creator III

How to identify primary keys,synthetic keys and foreign key from qlikview if you dont have access to database

I am new to qlikview and I have to create link between two servers, the point is I have to join two tables on a fixed ID:

My first question is how to identify a synthetic key and a primary key.Secondly if I have to join between these two existing tables maybe I have to create a new key..how can I do it in qlikview

1 Reply
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

in general, you can identify primary key, but not synthetic key, actually it is the synthetic key that finds you (if you do crappy things or you just have crappy data).

1. For finding primary keys, on Qlikview, there is no "auto-mode" in the data management console, the good news is that you can find this on QLIKSENSE, for free, using Qliksense Desktop, with a drag and drop feature. (just reduce your extractions before, it consumes a lot of system resources because of its graphic interface)

2. synthetic key is a key created inside a synthetic table when you connect two table using more than one joining field.

I don't understand what do you mean by connecting two servers ? and for doing this, you should join two tables..

maybe you're talking about connecting two databases.. ?

and finally, you can have two tables joined by two fields in your sources, on Qlik you should create a composite key to deal this type of joins.