Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to quote the existing expression by its label name?

Hi Experts,

In QlikView, in the same chart, is it possible to quote/use the existing expressions by its label name?

To avoid repeating the lengthy expression statement, to my understanding, user can quote/use the existing expressions by their label name, as the example below, "ANNUAL(FCST)", in other places of the same chart.

But, does it really work?  Or, does user have to add [...] (square brackets) for QlikView to recognize that as an expression label name?

Because sometimes I found it didn't work correctly.

Thanks!

existing expression.PNG

7 Replies
ChennaiahNallani
Creator III
Creator III

you can create variable and use variables where you want

dapostolopoylos
Creator III
Creator III

You have to use square brackets around the Expression label but you can use a much more safer method by referencing the epression you want by using the index number of the expression and the Column function.

In your example you can refer the ANNUAL(FCST) expression like this:

Column(3)

Father/Husband/BI Developer
tresesco
MVP
MVP

You can refer by label in the same object expressions. That is, the expression can't be referred in another object nor in any label expression. Square brackets is required if the label has space(s) in between.

harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi, That's a great idea!  Could you give me an example?  Thanks!

ChennaiahNallani
Creator III
Creator III

Capture.PNG

Lable Name

=vLabel

harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Tresesco,

I understand, "Square brackets is required if the label has space(s) in between.".

That's also what made me a bit confused about the use of Square Brackets [].

And, what do you mean by "object"?  in the same chart? or in the same expression name?

Thanks.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

chart