Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pranaview
Creator III
Creator III

How to round a Negative number to 0

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck in a small problem. I am getting a difference of two expressions(both expressions results in percentage values) and I need to show whether the result is > 0 or < 0 or = 0 in percentage. 

So, for example if Expression 1 gives me 98% and Expression 2 gives me 97% which shows a decrease of 1% and I will show it as -1%. Or If I have 98% and 98.8% which gives me an increase of 0.8% but I'm rounding it up and showing as 1%, it's working fine till here.

But now suppose two expressions gives me values such as 97% and 96.8% which means a decrease of 0.2 % but I have to show it as 0% only but What i'm getting with my current expression is -0% which doesn't make any sense to the user. 

Current expression :

=Num(Num(Exp1,'###%') - Num(Exp2,'###%'),'#,##0%')

I need to get this done asap so any suggestions will be hugely appreciated

Cheers,

Pranav

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this

=Num(Round(Number, 0.01), '#,##0%')

View solution in original post

16 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be try this

=Num(Ceil(Exp1 - Exp2, 0.01), '#,##0%')
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

Try this

ROUND(Num(Exp1,'###%') - Num(Exp2,'###%'))

Learning never stops.
pranaview
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Sunny,
Thanks for your response. This solution works in the scenario where i'm getting -0% but suppose if I am getting -4% as the difference then it's making that 0% as well.
Any idea why or what else i can try here?

Thanks!
sunny_talwar

How about this

=Num(Ceil(Exp1 - Exp2, 0.005), '#,##0%')

pranaview
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Sunny, this solution is working in the above scenarios but now even if the difference is 1.2%, it is making it 2% which is not the right way to display, it should be 1% unless it's > 1.5%
sunny_talwar

Try this 🙂

=Num(Round('1.2%', 0.005), '#,##0%')
marcus_sommer

Maybe a to negative values extended formatting might be useful, like:

=Num(Exp1 - Exp2,'#,##0%;#,##0%')

- Marcus

pranaview
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marcus,

I don't want to get rid of negative sign altogether. I just don't want it to get displayed when the value is < -0.5% cos i'm making it 0% and it's coming as -0%. If it is suppose -0.8%, I have to display it as -1% but with your solution it becomes 1%.

Maybe I should have been more clearer in the Post Header.

Thanks!
pranaview
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hey Sunny,

Again this worked for that particular scenario lol but now even if the difference is 0.3%, I am getting 1%.