Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

I thought QlikView was supposed to be easy to learn

Hello Everyone,

Of course I'm a newbie not only to this product but from a technical perspective BI in general. I'm not finding this product to be user friendly at all. Perhaps it's just the newness of it all but I'm wondering did anyone else fell this way at the start?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi There,

I found that following through the tutorial that gets put in the folder C:\Program Files\QlikView\Tutorial (provided you do a full install with default options) was a brilliant start point. I got through this in a couple of days and was able to build simple applications at the end of it. Being able to use some of the advanced features only comes with time and experience. As others have said though, this forum is a good place to find answers, and ask questions.

All the best with it. I am sure you will find it worthwhile putting the effort in.

Cheers,
Steve

View solution in original post

40 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Yes, I felt the same but when you try a lot you will get the hang of it. Through this forum you can get much help.

Succes!

agsearle
Creator
Creator

I started to use Qlikview just over a year ago, and had no help apart from here on this forum. I would have been lost without all the very helpful people here! Big Smile

Not a week goes by without me learning something new, my reports are getting better and better. Just stick with it, worth it in the end.

Not applicable
Author

Couldn't agree more. I started using it 3 days ago............

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi There,

I found that following through the tutorial that gets put in the folder C:\Program Files\QlikView\Tutorial (provided you do a full install with default options) was a brilliant start point. I got through this in a couple of days and was able to build simple applications at the end of it. Being able to use some of the advanced features only comes with time and experience. As others have said though, this forum is a good place to find answers, and ask questions.

All the best with it. I am sure you will find it worthwhile putting the effort in.

Cheers,
Steve

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

All

This is an illuminating discussion and one we are keen to keep learning from. Steve, glad that you found the tutorial helpful. It probably should have been easier to know where it was and how to get to it. We want to add content to this 'Getting Started' forum that can also help anyone starting with QlikView. Did you have a chance to look at any of the short videos available? Are they useful? Should there be others that focus on certain topics?

Let us know your thoughts

Regards

John Trigg

Global product Manager - QlikView Developer

Not applicable
Author

I remember that I was completely lost until I went through the tutorial when I started with Qlikview. The tutorial became sort of an "aah" experience and after that I had the basic conceptual understanding of the product to go into a trial-and-error learning mode.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I found it user friendly from the start. My very first exposure was going through the tutorial on my own. I don't remember that being difficult. Shortly after that, we had a consultant in to teach a class on it for a couple of days to the intended developers. I remember being bored in the class and moving ahead to experiment with things on my own, read in my own data instead of sample data, that kind of thing. But all of this was years ago, so it's possible that it was more confusing at first than I remember.

Mind you, I've always had a love/hate relationship with QlikView. In general, I find it to be an extremely clever product that does so very many things right. But there are also aspects of how it was designed that make certain things unnecessarily difficult and occasionally seemingly impossible. And it seems to go through periods of instability and bugs, perhaps because so many new features are being rushed in so quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I sometimes compare using QlikView to writing. You can learn a few letters and write simple phrases quickly. You need some experience to write long phrases and short stories, and a good deal of talent for novels. And, only few who are able to create something like "King Lear" or "War and Peace". Oh, and they are not always the same people who invented letters.
Don't be upset if you're are not there yet... Smile

Not applicable
Author

Im into it for about 6 weeks now. Im finding if Im playing with a concept its fine, pivots,straight pivots charts and general functionality its fine but if your trying to produce something releaseable to production its a differant matter.

The backend throws up issues around performance loading, persisting filtering and joining Qvds , Incremental Loads, optimised loads and dimension handling. and the Script window being modal is really irritating!

The front end is a bit easier as its all in property boxes (the modal dialogs are just as annoying here though), Im often finding the option I want is greyed out and its not clear Why (to me anyway!), set analysis is potentially great though i can see it becomming complex quickly.

Im currently struggling with Sorts (about as basic an operation as you can get) im sorting descending and getting ascending, im unable to sort a text branch code in numeric order correctly in a cyclic group that is used on a list box filter (a seperate post is on its way to forum for some more excellent assistance .)

II am also struggling with bookmarks not behaving as i would expect from reading the help

Its a bleeding edge product and at the moment im the one doing a lot of the bleeding ... The forums an excellent resource as has been said before in this thread. perhaps QlikView support can monitor it and assist a bit more to improve this aspect of the product

Regards.