Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

I want to compare sales for a range of products and sectors over a 3 year period but the source data files do not contain any date or year fields and the file names are all the same. How can do this?

I want to compare sales for a range of products and sectors over a 3 year period but the source data files do not contain a date or year field and the file names are all the same. How can i do this?

9 Replies
Digvijay_Singh

Please provide sample data and expected output, else we cannot figure out actual need from descriptive info you have provided.

You must have date or related field with your fact/transaction data else we won't able to understand which sales transaction happened in which year. More info like sample data and expected output will help.

vikasmahajan

How your sales data stored with without date field ?

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Trevor

please provide sample data and more description of your requirement.

what i understand is that you have Sales Data for 3 years & each sectors is separate source file.

and all files have the same header and format.

for example source file are like this:

Sector1.xlsx

Sector2.xlsx

Sector3.xlsx

Sector4.xlsx

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It sound like you are asking for the impossible. How do you expect to do temporal analysis without any date information?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
avinashelite

jontydkpi‌ Mentioned, if you want to compare the data year over year their should at-least one date parameter rite? otherwise how will you get to know which data belongs to which year? Please try to get date or year values , if the dates are added as the file name then also fine. we can extract the same and do the analysis 

avinashelite

c.png

Not applicable
Author

That is the source data issue. Definatley sales transaction must have transaction time. If not plese check with application why that is not generated.

Not applicable
Author

I have concatenated the tables into one and renamed the activity as activity for the year that each of the source files relates to. I am not interested in monthly figures only annual over a number for years but for around 2000 items. The source files contain data from other service providers and want to see how we compare year by year to our competitors. This seems to work

Thanks for all your help

avinashelite

If you have got the answer, Please mark the correct and helpful answers and close this thread