Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

I want to make something that will show project variance

I have been given a QV project from a potential employer and they want me to do the following:

PROJECT VARIANCE

In QlikView, create a visualization showing schedule variance and budget variance trends over time. This

should be shown for the entire portfolio of projects as well as for each project manager and any other

grouping that you think would be helpful to the management team.

Notes about the data:

• Schedule variance is listed in the MoveInStatusDays field.

• Budget variance is listed in the CostBudgetVariance field.

• The project manager assigned to a project is listed in the CurrentPM field.

Optional features/functionality:

• Add a control to the time axis allowing the user to show this information by day, week or month.

So far I have bought the data into QV and selected the above fields into list boxes. I really need any help I can get as I'm new to QV as of a few hours ago!! Thank you.

4 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Mate - Welcome to QV world and Good luck with your new job prospects.

We can help you to answer the questions but the best for you to do is start looking at sample QV documents and take some ideas. I am sure if you look at all the demo applications, you will have clear idea on what you wanted to do.

Also if you need help from the forum... best thing is to post some sample data. This makes it easy for fellow users to demostrate an example with your data.

I had read your requirement and my first thought is that everthing is possible including the optional feature. However, I would strongly recommend you to check the demo application and also look at the QV documentation for syntax & expression help!

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I'm trying to divide a field called snapshotdate into day, week and month. I  used the following syntax:

... SnapshotDate,
    Day ([SnapshotDate]) as Day,
    Week([SnapshotDate]) as Week,
    Month ([SnapshotDate]) as Month,

But I'm getting the following error when I try and load the data:

ErrorSource: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, ErrorMsg: 'Week' is not a recognized built-in function name.

Anyone have an ideas? Thanks                         

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

A load from an SQL source consists of two parts - the SQL which is passed to the OLEDB driver, and the QlikView itself.  The QlikView comes in the form of a LOAD statement that preceeds the SQL SELECT statement.  So something like this:

Calendar:
LOAD
SnapshotDate
,Day ([SnapshotDate]) as Day
,Week([SnapshotDate]) as Week
,Month ([SnapshotDate]) as Month
;
SQL
SELECT SnapshotDate
FROM some data source
WHERE conditions
;

By default, QlikView will load the fields given in the SQL SELECT, even if you don't explicitly specify the LOAD statement.  But I always explicitly specify the load statement.

Not applicable
Author

John,

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge. I'm really struggling with

this project - but trying to do the best I can. Thanks again!

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM, John Witherspoon <