Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Highlighted
harrywu1
New Contributor III

In expression statement, the use of various kinds of symbols..

Hi experts!

During the course of learning expression statement, I found myself a bit confused with the various sybols ( "",'',[],(),{},<>, etc. ), and their usage.  Any recommended reference regarding this?

For example,

1. num( Count({<[ID SCD duplicate]={"=Count([ID SCD duplicate])>1"}>}[ID SCD duplicate]), '# ##0')

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

In Expression 1.) ={"=Count, { is followed by ", to start the identifier condition.

However, in Expression 2.) ={'$(=Max, { is followed by ', to start the identifier condition.

And, what is [ ] for?  I thought, [ ] was to quote the existing expressions into the new expression.  But is it correct?

Can I find any related resource/reference on this?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: In expression statement, the use of various kinds of symbols..

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

Before develop something, think If placed (The Right information | To the right people | At the Right time | In the Right place | With the Right context)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If i understand correct, the square bracket apply where field is not a single word like empno is the single word where [emp no] needs to be cover because qlik can capture as 2 words..

Before develop something, think If placed (The Right information | To the right people | At the Right time | In the Right place | With the Right context)
harrywu1
New Contributor III

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Another finding is that, for the identifier of YEAR, it didn't put ' ' in the identifier expression. But MONTH did.

Could anyone help explain?

(this expression example was what I randomly captured in the forum, which was marked as Correct Answer. So, I assume that worked.)

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

View solution in original post

harrywu1
New Contributor III

Hi Anil,

The article you provided about Double quotes & Single quotes really explained it mostly!  Thanks!

So far I think there's nothing better than your response.

I will keep my set expression going on with the tradition, to see if any confusion again.