Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III

In expression statement, the use of various kinds of symbols..

Hi experts!

During the course of learning expression statement, I found myself a bit confused with the various sybols ( "",'',[],(),{},<>, etc. ), and their usage.  Any recommended reference regarding this?

For example,

1. num( Count({<[ID SCD duplicate]={"=Count([ID SCD duplicate])>1"}>}[ID SCD duplicate]), '# ##0')

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

In Expression 1.) ={"=Count, { is followed by ", to start the identifier condition.

However, in Expression 2.) ={'$(=Max, { is followed by ', to start the identifier condition.

And, what is [ ] for?  I thought, [ ] was to quote the existing expressions into the new expression.  But is it correct?

Can I find any related resource/reference on this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anil_Babu_Samineni

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

Please add me Anil_Babu_Samineni to interact faster when reply back. Speak low think High.

Before develop something, think If placed (The Right information | To the right people | At the Right time | In the Right place | With the Right context)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

If i understand correct, the square bracket apply where field is not a single word like empno is the single word where [emp no] needs to be cover because qlik can capture as 2 words..

Please add me Anil_Babu_Samineni to interact faster when reply back. Speak low think High.

Before develop something, think If placed (The Right information | To the right people | At the Right time | In the Right place | With the Right context)
harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

2. Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Another finding is that, for the identifier of YEAR, it didn't put ' ' in the identifier expression. But MONTH did.

Could anyone help explain?

(this expression example was what I randomly captured in the forum, which was marked as Correct Answer. So, I assume that worked.)

Anil_Babu_Samineni

There is no finding either you can get it

Sum({$<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'}, Month = {'$(=Max(Month))'}>} ActualSold)

Sum({$<Year = {$(=Max(Year))}, Month = {$(=Max(Month))}>} ActualSold)

In latest versions, There are small changes you must need like Quotes in Set Analysis

harrywu1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Anil,

The article you provided about Double quotes & Single quotes really explained it mostly!  Thanks!

So far I think there's nothing better than your response.

I will keep my set expression going on with the tradition, to see if any confusion again.