Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Introductory presentation on programming (in QlikView)?

Hi,

(just as a foreword, I myself am not new to QlikView, but I think this is a question best suited to be answered by those who generally offer help in this category)

I want to prepare a very short introductory presentation on programming, with a special focus on QlikView, for an apprentice

that I'm to be partially responsible for.

- The objective of the presentation should not be to try to replace the handbook or save the apprentice the trouble of looking for info  
   himself

<=> Rather, it should enable him to know what to look for or rather where to look for it and thus to look up all the information he needs as he goes along himself, either in the offline handbook or online in the QlikCommunity.

I have done quite a few presentations already, internal and external, and I would generally prefer to make my presentations myself because I don't think that finding something online and learning it saves a great deal of time relative to doing it yourself ...

<=> Still, any ideas, comments, pieces of experience (it is the first time I am going to try to teach sth. to an apprentice) or anything else you might want to share will be most welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

I think you can prepare some kind of short interactive 'workshop' instead of presentation.

Take a simple case that is close to the scope of the listener. Show the QlikView approach (data model, associative logic etc). Depending on your focus, you can take the case of scripting and etl or the front-end analysis and char creation.

To know what to look for you have to present him the logic of scripting, data transform, aggr, set analysis.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi whiteline,

that is pretty close to what I was planning to do:

- Instead of telling him exactly what to do and how, I want to tell him in the presentation where to look for it.

- The presentation should be very short and afterwards I'm going to let the apprentice actually do something that is within the scope of what my team's tasks are anyway - doing something that has some value for the company is always somewhat more motivating than just doing something for the sake of learning how 😉

I don't think I'm going into the details of aggr() and set_analysis and such - those are the more difficult details of QlikView and I came quite some way myself without knowing about these. I just fine-tuned my apps accordingly then. I do have to explain the associative_logic and such.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler