Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is qvw file holds data or only metadata?

Hi all,

Iam new to qlikview .when deploying the qvw file into publisher/server is the qvw file holds any data or it contains only metadata

like script ,objects ,charts.Why  iam asking is i see the architecture diagram  in that publisher connecting sources.Can anyone please give me the clarity about why publisher connecting sources as i understood we already connect sources  in qlikview desktop for loading data?

Thanks,

Seenu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi Seenu, the qvw file also contains the data, Section Access can be used to limit the acces to data and the same section access or Windows permissions to access the document.

If the document has a scheduled reload on server, the server will do the connections to refresh the data.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
darrell_tobin
Creator
Creator

When you load the data into  QVW the file contains all of the data you have loaded as per loading script.

This means you can use the QVW even if you separated it fromthe server and opened it on another server.

devarasu07
Master II
Master II

Hi,

Welcome to qlik!

Yes it contain only that visualization object, expression, script , variable etc but not the data. qlikview/sense both are using in-memory concept (i.e all qlikview/sense qvd, other data are stored in RAM) so it will be faster than the traditional BI tool ( remember to use binary load app at presentation this method is much more faster)

for more details check this article

rubenmarin

Hi Seenu, the qvw file also contains the data, Section Access can be used to limit the acces to data and the same section access or Windows permissions to access the document.

If the document has a scheduled reload on server, the server will do the connections to refresh the data.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for your prompt response but my doubt is why publisher is again connecting to sources according to the architecture diagram ,data is already there in the qvw file.can you please give me clarity about publisher reloading.

devarasu07
Master II
Master II

Hi,

Mainly published used to publish / reload / distribute the qlikview document to users (based on their user access)  on scheduled time.

more details u can check this thread will be helpful

Re: What is the use of QlikView Server and QlikView Publisher?

Installation of Qlik server and publisher on different servers for load sharing

QlikView Publisher | Qlik Community

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Devarasu,

Thanks for your response, you are saying qvw file contains no data but other two replies i have got

they are saying qvw file contains data.Iam very little confused which one is correct.

Thanks,

Seenu.

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

The Qlikview document holds the data when you refresh or deploy on server for auto refresh. The two main functions of Publisher is to Reload the data and Distribution of data from source documents to User documents which further viewed in Access Point when user access the dashboard. Hope this makes sense.

shiveshsingh
Master
Master

Qlikview Doc will hold the data when you refresh it or send it on server.

Functions of Publisher are mainly to reload and publish the data/Distribution task to user docs from source docs.

This user doc destination can be configured through QMC.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for all your respnoses.

Thanks,

Seenu.