cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOAD 10 and 10.00 as two different values in a table

Hi All,

I am very new to Qlikview so this is probably a weird question. I am working on a dashboard in which a user can enter some values  in an input box  and I will use these values on the background for some SAS code via a stored process.

For the most part this works fine. In the script I have something like:

variable_X:

LOAD

Rowno() AS variable_X

AUTOGENERATE

100; 

Now, skipping some details, in de input box you can now enter values from 1 to 100 as integer values.  For example, you can enter 10 and variable_X will appear with value 10 in the current selections box. So far so good.

However, I want the user to be able to enter values with two decimals. For example, 10.50 should be a possible value. I was able to this by changing the above code by:

variable_X:

LOAD

round(Rowno()*0.01, 0.01) AS variable_X

AUTOGENERATE

10000;

Now you can enter values  from 1.00 to 100.00 with two decimal precision. Still, so far so good. But what is bugging me is that you cannot enter 10 as a value in the input box anymore. In the table variable_X  "10" is defined as "10.00" and hence it is not recognized in the current selections as an allowed value. This could be confusing to the user and hence I want to solve it.

Does anyone now a good solution to this problem? Any help is much appreciated!

A failed attempt by me was to add 10 and 10.00 as two different values in the table. The code I tried was:

variable_X:

LOAD

if(  RowNo()<10001, round(Rowno()*0.01, 0.01),  RowNo() - 10000 ) AS variable_X

AUTOGENERATE

100100;

Unfortunately, something goes wrong with the rounding. For the rows 1 up to 10000 values like 10.00 are stored as 10.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

The idea was to use the same format in your action as you've used for formatting your field.

I assume your field is formatted as integer without decimals, hence =Num(vVar,0.01)

would not be the appropriate format, but for a field formatted with two decimals.

You can also try this as search string:

='=variable_X=vVar'

which should do a numerical match disregarding the format.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you are talking about an input box, I assume you are using a Qlik Variable to store that value and then an action to make selection in field variable_x?

Maybe just use a Num() formatting in your selections, maybe something like

=Num(vVar,0.01)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your reply. That's exactly what I am doing! I am trying to figure out how to implement your suggested solution. Could you help me out a little bit more here?

Right now I make a table of variable_X  in the script like this:

variable_X:

LOAD

Rowno() AS variable_X

AUTOGENERATE

100;

Then indeed I make a Qlik Variable vVar in an input box, then add an action to make a selection in variable_x. I do that with a variable event trigger. Right now, I did this as follows:

Field               : variable_X

Search string :  =$(vVar)

Now al integer values of 1 up to 100 are allowed.

I do have some questions regarding your solutions now. First of all, do you suggest I try:

Search string :  =Num(vVar,0.01)

And if so, do I change something in the script? Because at the moment it doesn't seem to work for me. What am I doing wrong?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The idea was to use the same format in your action as you've used for formatting your field.

I assume your field is formatted as integer without decimals, hence =Num(vVar,0.01)

would not be the appropriate format, but for a field formatted with two decimals.

You can also try this as search string:

='=variable_X=vVar'

which should do a numerical match disregarding the format.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for you feedback. In the end I used a slightly different solution, but I accepted your solution because it was based on yours. What I did was as follows:

variable_X:

LOAD

Round(Rowno(), 0.01) AS variable_X

AUTOGENERATE

10000;

Field               : variable_X

Search string :  =Round($(vVar),0.01)

This worked for me!