cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mazacini
Creator III
Creator III

LOAD v SQL SELECT

Up to now, I have been mainly dealing with table files.

So I use the LOAD command, then specify the individual fields I want to load.

I can also append calculated fields, and change the formatting of fields in the script following LOAD.

Now, I want to connect to a MS Access file.

Using the wizard, firstly I connect via ODBC to the Access file; then I click on the Select button.

It enters the script

SQL SELECT *
FROM Table

The problem is that I don;t know how to do the things I do with the LOAD command, such as selecting indivdual fields rather than all (*), or changing the format of individual fields, or appending fields during load.

Can anyone help?

Ta

Joe 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think you can actually do some of the things you want to also with a SQL SELECT, like specifying the individual fields (this should also be possible via the wizard, but just replace the wildcard with your field list).

Then, you could do a preceding LOAD using all the QV functions to transform / manipulate the fields.

LOAD *,

'Test' as Newfield;

SQL SELECT Field FROM Table;

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think you can actually do some of the things you want to also with a SQL SELECT, like specifying the individual fields (this should also be possible via the wizard, but just replace the wildcard with your field list).

Then, you could do a preceding LOAD using all the QV functions to transform / manipulate the fields.

LOAD *,

'Test' as Newfield;

SQL SELECT Field FROM Table;

mazacini
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Great explanation!

Thanks