Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

mazacini
Contributor III

LOAD v SQL SELECT

Up to now, I have been mainly dealing with table files.

So I use the LOAD command, then specify the individual fields I want to load.

I can also append calculated fields, and change the formatting of fields in the script following LOAD.

Now, I want to connect to a MS Access file.

Using the wizard, firstly I connect via ODBC to the Access file; then I click on the Select button.

It enters the script

SQL SELECT *
FROM Table

The problem is that I don;t know how to do the things I do with the LOAD command, such as selecting indivdual fields rather than all (*), or changing the format of individual fields, or appending fields during load.

Can anyone help?

Ta

Joe 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

LOAD v SQL SELECT

I think you can actually do some of the things you want to also with a SQL SELECT, like specifying the individual fields (this should also be possible via the wizard, but just replace the wildcard with your field list).

Then, you could do a preceding LOAD using all the QV functions to transform / manipulate the fields.

LOAD *,

'Test' as Newfield;

SQL SELECT Field FROM Table;

2 Replies
MVP
MVP

LOAD v SQL SELECT

I think you can actually do some of the things you want to also with a SQL SELECT, like specifying the individual fields (this should also be possible via the wizard, but just replace the wildcard with your field list).

Then, you could do a preceding LOAD using all the QV functions to transform / manipulate the fields.

LOAD *,

'Test' as Newfield;

SQL SELECT Field FROM Table;

mazacini
Contributor III

LOAD v SQL SELECT

Great explanation!

Thanks