cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Line Chart Show Zero Values but not NULL Values

Hello, I'm currently working on a chart that will show dropout rates for schools. The problem that I am having is the school's dropout rate can either be 0 (no dropouts) or NULL (no record). My dimensions are according to Year and then School Name in that order. The Set Analysis works where it only calculates the dropout rate for schools within a specified district. This results in the schools within the district calculating dropout rates, while every other school's dropout rates become NULL. This is what I want, but the problem is that I need to show when the dropout rate is 0, and when I uncheck "Suppress Zero Values" I get the zero values for the schools in the district, but my chart also shows every other school. So my question is if there is a way to only suppress the NULL values? "Suppress Missing" does not work, neither does "Suppress when value is null" on the dimension tab. I'll attach some pictures to give you an idea.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gsbeaton
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Danny,

Nulls in your data will always cause you problems.  Best to try to tag with a value which you can work with in the front end.

My suggestion would be to change your nulls in the load script, something like if(isNull(DropOut),-1,DropOut).  You don't have to tag with -1, but that's a useful value to work with.  In your set analysis, you can then do something like count({<DropOut={'>0'}>}DropOut).

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Bump

gsbeaton
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Danny,

Nulls in your data will always cause you problems.  Best to try to tag with a value which you can work with in the front end.

My suggestion would be to change your nulls in the load script, something like if(isNull(DropOut),-1,DropOut).  You don't have to tag with -1, but that's a useful value to work with.  In your set analysis, you can then do something like count({<DropOut={'>0'}>}DropOut).

Hope that helps.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A demo document (QVW) with representative data would be very helpful. You can anonymise fields that contain names and IDs. Can you post such a document in this thread?

dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks for the advice. I did that and it's working great now. Thanks for the help!