Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Linked Objects

Hi All,

Kindly help me to explain the word "Linked Objects" means in Qlikview. How it is useful? Please give an example.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

For sake of example attaching a qvw where both the List Boxes have ObjectID: LB01. Make change to the dimension in one of them and you will see that the dimension in the other list box will also change to match the one you just changed.

HTH

Best,

Sunny

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

Based on my understanding 'Linked Object' are like twins (share the same object ID) where changes made to one would automatically flow into the other one. I think the primary benefit, at least how I see it, is that if you have a same object featuring on all tabs of your application, you can create linked object instead of simply copy paste object. This is because in future if you have to make a change you can simply make the change on one tab and it will flow into all other tabs because the all the objects are linked to each other.

HTH

Best,

Sunny

sunny_talwar

For sake of example attaching a qvw where both the List Boxes have ObjectID: LB01. Make change to the dimension in one of them and you will see that the dimension in the other list box will also change to match the one you just changed.

HTH

Best,

Sunny

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Linking an object:

There are Couple of ways to create a linked object.

1- Create the object then

Next Right click on the object -> copy to clipboard -> Object

Next Right click in the new sheet where you want to paste the object then choose Paste sheet object as Link.

2-  Go to properties -> copy Object ID.

Next Clone same object and moved it to another sheet,

Next go to the properties -> replace Object ID with object ID in the clipboard- > , this way you have a linked object.

When two or more objects are linked they share all properties with the exception of size, position and display state (normal, maximized, minimized).

When you change the properties of one object the change is immediately reflected in the other linked objects. Linked objects may reside on the same sheet or on different sheets.

Linked objects share the same object ID. If an object will be unlinked a new object ID will be assigned to the unlinked object.

Unlinking an object:

Just use the context-menu of the object and go to Linked Objects -> Unlink This object

Once object is unlinked, properties are not shared anymore and changes in properties are not reflected on other objects.

Thanks & Regards

Neetha

Anonymous
Not applicable

For example you have one listbox for Country field, and you will create one more list box for Country field in some other sheet, you can use link object , if you are making any changes in one list box other list box also that change will be reflected.instead of doing the change in all the list box of every sheet you can do linked object.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

How it is useful?

it's useful when you have the same object in different sheets

Instead of a copy, I use a linked object to reflect the changes I made to the object in all the sheets.

I usually use for date/time listbox, layout objects (line, textbox), common listbox and search objects that are repeated in many sheets.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Linked objects are very useful in cases like if you  have multiple list boxes, Text Objects etc with same  fields/Content and styles in multiple sheets, then change in one objects reflects in all the linked objects.

Suppose if you have linked two objects, if you change a field in one object the second object field also automatically changed.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

When two or more objects are linked they share all properties with the exception of size, position and display state (minimized, normal, maximized).  When you change the properties of one object the change is immediately reflected in the other linked objects. Linked objects may reside on the same sheet or on different sheets.

There are two different approaches creating a linked object:

“Classic” way:

Use the context menu of an object and select Copy to Clipboard => Object or go to Menu => Objectand Copy to Clipboard and Object; both can also be achieved with the shortcut Ctrl+C
Then use the command
Menu => Object => Paste Sheet Object as Link

Drag’n’Drop:

Drag an object onto another sheet while pressing Ctrl+Shift, then chain icon will appear indicating that the object will be placed on the desired sheet as a linked object:

Hope it will helpful!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please go through this link for better understanding

QlikTip #26: Introducing Linked Objects in QlikView 10

dhanavindhan
Creator
Creator

Hi Jagan,

In case I am having different objects frm different field notsame. I have 5 sheets i created 6t sheet and pasting one object from every 5 sheet. Now how can link them together and set common year field option to sort the record forthem.

Regards,

Dhana