Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawgfather
Creator
Creator

Mapped field for a qualifying condition - if something moved from A to B

I am having a hard time coming up with a query or condition where I can come up with a simple yes/no mapping as to whether the condition or event has taken place. I am hoping someone might be more resourceful than I am with QV.

Here’s the situation:

I have systems (laptops) connecting to one group of servers (“old_servers”) and corresponding database records of the last time they connected. I am trying to get them over to connect to a group of new servers (“new_servers”). Once they do connect to the “new_servers” group , I will have a record of the last date it connects. So the database will essentially show 2 records for a laptop connecting to two sets of servers at two different times/dates.

I can create a chart with laptop name, server name, last seen date, and then a group name (old_servers and new_servers) with mappings behind the scenes to define those list of servers to groups.

I have an expression defined for when the laptop was last seen connecting to the old_servers –

DATE(if(Database.ServerGroup = ‘old_servers’,Database.LastSeenDate,null()))

I have another expression similar to populate if connecting to new_servers –

DATE(if(Database.ServerGroup = ‘new_servers’,Database.LastSeenDate,null()))

If I see a laptop with two lines in the chart, one with a date for old_servers (say 11/4/16) and another line with a date for new_servers (say 11/6/16), then I know it has moved. Those I want to mark with a designation that they have moved (a “yes” in a yes/no field perhaps)

I am trying to come up with a mapping or qualifier that gives me a “Yes/No” field I can filter with. And I cannot seem to get there.

Yes = an (older) date connecting to old_servers AND a (newer) date connecting to new_servers.

No = only a date for that laptop in the old_servers grouping or only a date in the new_servers group, but not a date in both.

If I can get that date qualifier, great, but theoretically if it has an entry for both, then it will never go back, so the dates should always be older/newer – but you never know.

Any wizards out there?

Some sample data to work with:

Laptop

field

Server

field

ServerGroup

field

LastSeenDate

field

LastSeenOld

expression

LastSeenNew

expression

Desired outcome

(comment)

ABC123Old1old_servers11/2/201611/2/2016-Not moved (no)
DEF123Old2old_servers11/4/201611/4/2016-Moved (yes)
DEF123New5new_servers11/6/2016-11/6/2016Moved (yes)
ABC345Old1old_servers11/5/201611/5/2016-Moved (yes)
ABC345New6new_servers11/6/2016-11/6/2016Moved (yes)
DEF456Old3old_servers11/5/201611/5/2016-Moved (yes)
DEF456New7new_servers11/8/2016-11/8/2016Moved (yes)
DEF678New8new_servers11/8/2016-11/8/2016Not moved (no)
ABC789New7new_servers11/9/2016-11/9/2016Not moved (no)
2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think you could do a mapping like:

map:

mapping load distinct [Laptop field], 'Moved (yes)' as Result

From YourSource where [ServerGroup field] = 'new_servers';

table:

load

applymap('map', [Laptop field], 'Not moved (no)') as [Desired outcome]

From YourSource;

- Marcus

dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you for your feedback. I suppose I need to clarify the table.

The Desired Outcome is not an available field. It is merely a comment I made to the audience here so that if the mapping works, that is what I would expect to see. Merely having an entry connecting to the new_servers group does not constitute a "move". If a laptop never connected to an old_servers server, as in it is a new laptop and only connects to a new_servers server, then it is not a "move".

A "move" has to be where there was (is) an entry or record for a laptop connecting to an old_servers group, and then it connects to a new_servers group, only then has it actually "moved". Make sense?