Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Maps using address info not coordinates

Hello,

Has anyone had success with creating a map object (Google maps or a similar map) that reads address info ?  All of the examples that I have found seem to use longitude and latitude. I have city, state, street , and zip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Jeff

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Jeff,

I believe (but without knowing what you want to do) that you will need to retrieve latitude and longitude coordinates from your addresses. If you want to display a map as background in a QV chart object and then overlay some bubbles for example (like most examples do), I believe you need to work with the numerical coordinates (since QV just don't understand 'addresses', or knows what the map is actually showing (streets, cities etc)). It only knows that the image has numerical x/y ranges and that you have data to show in that ranges.

There are probably some different methods to retrieve geo coordinates from addresses, some expensive some not, here is one:

http://community.qlik.com/message/188551

Search the forum / web for some more methods, if needed.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

I didnt understand quite well what you need exactly but I found some libraries that may help you:

http://code.google.com/p/google-maps-utility-library-v3/wiki/Libraries

Look all the different maps and maybe one can give you what you need, (the infobox I think is the one)

regards!

Not applicable
Author

Hello!

Here is an example that translates adresses into longitude and latitude to be used with a Google map.

Good luck

Not applicable
Author

Nice example above. I'd like to add one thing. As soon as you request a lot of addresses using that code, it's wise to add a sleep command (e.g. sleep 200) between each address fetch. I've experienced myself that if you dont add this statement, a lot of addresses/coordinates won't be fetched.