cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KellyK
Contributor
Contributor

Max, Median, Min Values

Hello everyone - I am a rookie Qlikview Developer trying to find the breaks in a set of data based on the $$$ value vs. the actual max, median and min numbers.  For instance, in the set of data shown - there appear to be 3 dollar value breaks in the data:

Data by same part number

1.  ($14,070 - $10,922)= average 12,011

2.  ($8,980 - $6,610) = average 7,440

3.  ($1,193 - $26) = average 499

Once, I am able to break the data into these groups - then I would like to calculate the average of that group and show as a separate value.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

What is the basis for deciding these breaks? How can I programmatically get to these breaks? Does it always stay at 3 breaks?

View solution in original post

sunny_talwar

It does, but it only tells me that currently no object business logic behind this... in order for Qlik to handle this, it needs to have some objective business logic.... you might need more like an AI type of tool for this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

What is the basis for deciding these breaks? How can I programmatically get to these breaks? Does it always stay at 3 breaks?

KellyK
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Basis:  within a similar financial range.

Programming to get to breaks:  i don't know.  i can't figure that out either.

Breaks:  Yes, it always will be no more than 3 breaks.  some part numbers may have no real breaks as they were all sold around the same price.

sunny_talwar

I guess what is the business logic here? Why can't I consider the data to be 2 breaks?

1.  ($14,070 - $6,610)

2.  ($1,193 - $26)

How did you decide that the first break will be between 10922 and 8980? Is is the % of difference between the two numbers? or another logic? This seems very subjective to me... for one person it can be what you mentioned and for another it could be what I just suggested.

KellyK
Contributor
Contributor
Author

It really is subjective, but I'm trying to find logic for it.  What we are evaluating is the costs we incurred for something we sold and then calculating the average costs to see what is the average price we should charge for an item.  There may 3 different costs based on the materials applied or there may be 2, but we can't simply take the average of all the numbers because we would either be charging too much or too little based on the materials applied.  Does that help?

sunny_talwar

It does, but it only tells me that currently no object business logic behind this... in order for Qlik to handle this, it needs to have some objective business logic.... you might need more like an AI type of tool for this.