Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Need help with a data model

I am trying to build a QlikView model to represent our staffing history & projection. I am having a problem representing the case where one table is related to another table in two different ways.

For example:

I have Consultants and I have Projects as tables in my QV data model.

A Consultant is assigned to a Project, and also has a Project that they will be working on after their current Project (or maybe they don't, indicating we need to find a next Project for them). How would I build this relationship between the Consultant and the Projects? Both the current Project and next Project come from the same list of Projects.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Simon-

3 Replies
syed_muzammil
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Simon,

You can have two fields as CURRENT_PROJECT and NEXT_PROJECT in your CONSULTANT table. They will be pointing to the PROJECT in the PROJECT table.

Not applicable
Author

That sounds like it would work!

How would I do that though, since the field names would be different? I thought QlikView linked on field name. Am I missing something?

syed_muzammil
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Simon,

Sorry it was i who missed the trick. But here is another way.

Make a table Consultant_1 with Cuurent project(Field name as PROJECT_ID) as one field also make another field as Project_Type in dat u can specify only a text as "Current" .

Make another table Consultant_2 with Next_project (Field name as PROJECT_ID) as one field also make another field as Project_Type in dat u can specify only a text as "Next" .

Now join these two tables . You can differentiate the current and next project depending on the Project_Type feild.