Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawgfather
Creator
Creator

New computer transfer or profile rebuild and old QVW file access

This is a twofer in some ways - I think the answer will be the same.

I recently had an issue with my computer user profile and the help desk created a new profile and copied over all my files. Problem is that when I go into any of my old QVW files from weeks prior, it thinks I am someone new, as if those files are not "mine". How can I resolve this and open my old files without this QlikView desktop limit of only opening a few  of "someone else's" files ?

The second part is that I am now due to get a new computer so I think I will face the same issue. Is there anything I can do ahead of a change to ensure that I can open my own stuff afterwards?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It's a intented limitation of the PE that you could only restore four times the special access-key and AFAIK there is no way to bypass it. A new profile or a new machine will consume one of your four restores of the access-key.

This meant that a careless wasted restore could be quite expensive (your profile had be better repaired although it's from the IT-admin point of view easier to create a new one - possible disadvantages of this approach lay by the users and don't really concern the IT guys - at least our guys are thinking in this way).

The only solution will be to purchase a licence or if there are some available in your company to lease one form the server. If this isn't possible you will need to live with the limitation and if you use external load-scripts and/or copies and further documentations you would just need to re-create the gui of the applications.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

It's a intented limitation of the PE that you could only restore four times the special access-key and AFAIK there is no way to bypass it. A new profile or a new machine will consume one of your four restores of the access-key.

This meant that a careless wasted restore could be quite expensive (your profile had be better repaired although it's from the IT-admin point of view easier to create a new one - possible disadvantages of this approach lay by the users and don't really concern the IT guys - at least our guys are thinking in this way).

The only solution will be to purchase a licence or if there are some available in your company to lease one form the server. If this isn't possible you will need to live with the limitation and if you use external load-scripts and/or copies and further documentations you would just need to re-create the gui of the applications.

- Marcus