Anonymous
Not applicable

ONLY and max month

MonthTotal Number of Traffic
2016-01100
2016-02200
2016-03300
2016-04400

above is the table where my data is. Every month gets a new row. I want max month and its Total number of Traffic in a text box.

for eg, currently I want 'April 2016 400' displayed ina the text box. how do I do that

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this:

=Sum({<Month={'$(=Date(vmax))'}>}[Total Number of Traffic])

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have variable vmax = =max(Month(Month))

and then I have the below expn but its not working.

=only({<Month ={'$vmax)'}>}[Total Number of Traffic])

sunny_talwar

May be try this:

=Only({<Month ={'$(=vmax)'}>}[Total Number of Traffic])

or

=FirstSortedValue([Total Number of Traffic], -Month)

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would probably go for either Sum or Max instead of Only - to deal with the case where more than one row turns up in a month:

=Sum({<Month={'$(vmax)'}>}[Total Number of Traffic])

Also, you may need to ensure that your vmax variable is returning the month in the correct format:

=Date(Max(Month), 'YYYY-MM')

Using the Month function around the Month field would return just 4 for April this year, rather than 2016-04.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hi Steve and Sunny, Thank you for the reply. I tried both solutions and first sorted value worked. However if possible,

I want to see sum/only function with max date variable work. I changed the date field to 1/1/2016 in my data source.

I have compared both functions in the QVW I have attached here, along with excel. any comments would be awesome.

sunny_talwar

Try this:

=Sum({<Month={'$(=Date(vmax))'}>}[Total Number of Traffic])

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you again. That was it!

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Just to make you aware, that the Date function only works there as the natural date format of that field (how it appears if you just add it in a list box without formatting) matches the default date for your system.

If you change the date format to appear as you have in your table above, to 2016-04, which can be done in the load script, like this:

Date(Month, 'YYYY-MM') as Month,

You will then need to also insert the format pattern into the Set Analysis or Variable.

Glad it is now working.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Steve for your suggestions.