Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Pdf distribution tasks increasingly failing

Hi,

We are running Qlikview Server 11.9 in a Windows 2012 R2 machine. That server is allocated to Qlikview (on which we create dashboards and distribute pdf reports via pdf Distributor) and to another application.

There haven't been any major changes in the dashboards, reports or even triggered reload and distribution tasks since we have Qlikview installed in this machine, in early 2016. However, we are noticing that we get an increasing number of failed triggered tasks (mostly in pdf distribution tasks) without no apparent reason. When that happens, I restart Qlikview Distribution services and then perform the task manually in the QMC.

So, I would like to know what can be causing this increase in failed tasks, as most of the content is to be delivered to customers and it is not supposed to fail. Is there any parameter which value I can check or edit? Is there any limit on the amount of tasks in a chain of triggered tasks (a chain being tasks that are performed on the success of the previous task)?

Thank you & Best regards,

João Duarte

8 Replies
jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi,

Has anyone had this kind of issue?

Thank you,

João Duarte

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Joao,

I do not use QDS to run the PDF tasks. But based on my experience, below are some suggestions:

1. Did the auto run time for these triggered tasks for PDF longer than before? If longer time needed, is there any confliction? 

2. Do you have all the log file checked? Is there any suspicious part different than before?

Zhihong

jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi, Zhihong He

Looking into the tasks' run time, I can distinguish two different situations:

1. In certain days, distribution tasks take substantially more time to be completed (e.g. 1-2 minute instead of 30-40 seconds);

2. Distribution task fails but, after restarting the Qlikview Distribution Service, it runs without problem.

Both of these situations occour with pdf distribution. Qvw distribution tipically follows a stable duration and a pretty flawless trend.

The point is: if the tasks take a little longer to run, I shall try to understand why it happens but for the end user there is no big deal. However, if the tasks fail, it has impact in what is expected from our Qlikview solution.

Is there any limitation concerning simultaneous distribution tasks? Or with simultaneous distribution and reload tasks? (This second one would be more likely to happen in this case)

Thank you

João Duarte

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Something similar used to happen on our DEV servers and the tasks are failed. But when we re-ran them they ran with out an issue. Usually the task used to run in couple of minutes and sometimes it used to take 20 to 30 minutes and fail.

The answer we got from the group is, There are too many jobs running on the server with huge volume (This server is shared by multiple groups). But I never had an issue on the PROD server.

jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

You mean that there is a limit for simultaneous tasks? Maybe in function of the data they involve?

How have you solved your problem?

Thank you,

João Duarte

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

I don't think they have any limit on the tasks. It is the volume of the data that all the groups are running at the same time. Because it is a DEV server, every group should limit the number of rows that they load. But people don't pay attention and they load millions of rows.

I think the DEV is configured on low configuration. When all the groups load less number of records we don't have that issue. Hope this helps...

jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks. It is helpful.

Just one more question: what do you mean by "low configuration"?

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Might be the memory and processors are not as same as PROD.