Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Pie charts with time dimension

Hi everyone,

I'm a Qlikview beginner and am struggling with the finer points of chart manipulation.

In this case, my problem is with pie charts. I have a line sand chart that has two Dimensions - Year and Customer - and one Expression, sum(Amount). The chart has a fast change option to a Pie Chart. However, because of these Dimensions and Expressions, and Pie Chart is ugly and very crowded - in the middle of the Pie is the aggregation of sum(Amount) by Customer across all years, and around it are slivers representing each sum(Amount) for every Customer in every year.

#1 - Is there a way where I could manipulate this, and break it out so that instead I would have multiple pie charts, each providing sum(Amount) for every customer for one year? I.e. if the period was 2001-2008, could I have 8 smaller pie charts in the chart area?

#2 - A related question would be - is it possible to conditionally change Dimensions for Fast Type Change - i.e. can I set a condition to remove the Year Dimension when the chart switches to a Pie Chart?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Re: Re: Pie charts with time dimension

Hey Andrew,

Please check out the attached file.

• For your first question I would use a Grid chart and a line chart for fast change to achieve what you want.
  • For second part you could use an input box to manipulate what chart you are seeing with what dimensions

Hope it helps

Thanks

AJ

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Partner
Partner

Re: Pie charts with time dimension

My opinion : Never use pie charts. Use bar charts instead.

In order to make small multiples based on year, use set analysis :

sum({$<Year={"$(=only(Year))"}>} Amount)

Not applicable

When you say set analysis, you mean I would place that formula in Expressions definition?

Thank you for your quick reply!

Not applicable

Re: Re: Pie charts with time dimension

Hey Andrew,

Please check out the attached file.

• For your first question I would use a Grid chart and a line chart for fast change to achieve what you want.
  • For second part you could use an input box to manipulate what chart you are seeing with what dimensions

Hope it helps

Thanks

AJ

View solution in original post

Partner
Partner

Yes

sum({$<Year={"$(=only(Year))"}>} Amount) will give you the amount for the selected year

and

sum({$<Year={"2014"}>} Amount) only for 2014 etc.

Not applicable

Thank you both very much!