Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OmarBenSalem

Problem with week to date expression

Hi all,

I have a trouble with the WeekToDate expression.

In fact, the values returned when I use the WTD are the same returned with the MTD..

As if the WeekStart function acts like the MonthStart function and returns the debut of each month.

Here are the expressions I used for each case:

WTD:

Sum({<Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]= , DateNum={">=$(=Num(WeekStart(Max(DateNum))))<=$(=Max(DateNum))"}>} [Chiffre d'affaires])

WTD-1 :

Sum({<Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]= , DateNum={">=$(=Num(WeekStart(Max(DateNum),-52)))<=$(=Num(addyears(max([Date Ventes]),-1)))"}>} [Chiffre d'affaires]

MTD :

Sum({<Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]= , DateNum={">=$(=Num(MonthStart(Max(DateNum))))<=$(=Max(DateNum))"}>} [Chiffre d'affaires])

MTD-1 :

Sum({<Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]= , DateNum={">=$(=Num(MonthStart(Max(DateNum),-12)))<=$(=Num(addyears(max([Date Ventes]),-1)))"}>} [Chiffre d'affaires])

I have yet another question: what's the purpose of "Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]=" ? I know that if I delete them and then filter by dte, I won't have the same result. But why?

Thank you !

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Is your Max(DateNum) happens to be Feb 2nd 2016? Because if that is the case then you MTD and WTD will be exactly the same because there is 2 days WTD (1st and 2nd Feb) and 2 days in MTD (1st and 2nd Feb)

To answer your second question, this is how you specify which field selections should not change anything in the chart. The issue is that if you don't add them, Date or Month selection will further filter out from your date range specified in the DateNum field. You don't want that to happen so you restrict any other date field selection and allow it to move just on DateNum

prieper
Master II
Master II

Why do you deduct 52? Think you need to have the Weeknumber of the previous year?

The command "Year=, Month=, Quarter=, [Date Ventes]=" means that the function shall disregard all entries made in these fields.

Peter

OmarBenSalem
Author

No, the max(dateNum) returns the num of the date I select to filter with. For example,

1.PNG

Capture.PNG

OmarBenSalem
Author

Yes, I think the year contains 52 weeks; so I deduct 52, It would happen to be the same week of the previous year, no?

OmarBenSalem
Author

I added the Max to have a result even though I didn't make a selection

prieper
Master II
Master II

From the above code it seems that in your expression

.... DateNum={">=$(=Num(WeekStart(Max(DateNum),-52)))....

DateNum is a Date and the whole expression refers to a date, so deducting 52 ends with a date approx 2 monthes in the past.

For the calculation with weeks it seems to be easier to work with rolling weeks, like

Year(MyDate)*52 + Week(MyDate)     AS WeekNum

Doing so might make your life a bit easier

Peter

swuehl
MVP
MVP

For the WTD-1, I would probably use AddYears also in the lower limit:

DateNum={">=$(=Num(WeekStart(AddYears(Max(DateNum),-1))))<=$(=Num(addyears(max([Date Ventes]),-1)))"}

though this selection will show one to two days less dates than WTD, so may want to modify the upper limit.

can't see why WTD and MTD should return same values (unless for specific DateNum selections, as mentioned above.

If you remove the labels of your chart expressions, then hover with the mouse over the labels, the expression will be shown with dollar sign expansions expanded. What do the two expressions show in the field modifier ranges?

OmarBenSalem
Author

Here is a screen shot that resumes the confusing part ! The expression i'm using are correct, the result should differ but I keep on having the same result !!

Capture.PNG

I really I'm confused !

OmarBenSalem
Author

here is another example :

Capture.PNG