cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QDS Task Log: Information Memory Message

Hello,

Will someone confirm if I have correctly interpreted the memory info. in the QDS task log? Thank you!

Physical FileSize=101.30 Mb.

Definition: the file size of the source .qvw i?

Memory Allocation Delta for this file=516.33 Mb.

Definition: the difference between the physical file size and the amount of memory allocated for the source document in RAM; if you add Physical FileSize and Memory Allocation Delta the result is the amount of RAM the source document uses in memory? (e.g. 617.63 MB)?

Available Physical Memory Before Open=560179.90 Mb.

Definition: of the memory allocated to QVS, this value represents the total amount of memory not in use by QVS prior to document reload into memory?

Available Physical Memory After Open=560377.43 Mb.

Definition: of the total amount of memory allocated to the QVS, this is the amount of memory in use after the document has been reloaded into memory?

Total Physical Memory=1048467.25 Mb.

Definition: total amount of memory allocated to the QVS?

rwunderlich

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I spoke with an architect from Qlik and he provided me with the correct definitions:

BEFORE RELOAD

Physical FileSize

Size of the qvw

Memory allocation delta for this file

(QVB memory usage after opening the document) - (QVB memory usage before opening the document). The important thing here is that this refers to opening the document but not loading the data into memory.

Available physical memory before open

Available physical memory before opening the document

Available physical memory after open

Available physical memory after opening the document

Total physical memory

Total is the key word

LOG SAMPLE: Physical FileSize=166.22 Mb. Memory Allocation Delta for this file=3.14 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Open=2940.29 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Open=2935.09 Mb. Total Physical Memory=4095.55 Mb.

• We see 3.14MB recorded as the allocation delta as the data has not been opened and the reload has not run yet.

AFTER RELOAD

(QVB memory usage after reload) - (QVB memory usage before reload)

Available physical memory before reload

Available physical memory before doing the reload

Available physical memory after reload

Available physical memory after doing the reload

Total physical memory

Available physical memory

From 12.20 onwards, this is changed to "Available physical memory".

LOG SAMPLE: Memory Allocation Delta for this file=368.16 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Reload=2935.08 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Reload=2751.88 Mb. Total Physical Memory=2751.88 Mb.

• The memory allocation delta reported here is more in line with what I was expecting. It is higher than the footprint it takes to open the app, but this metric accounts for how much memory it took to complete the reload.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I have not dug down into these numbers but I think your interpretations look generally good. I'd be careful with making assertions about QVS from QDS log messages. You are assuming that any memory not available to QDS is consumed by QVS, which is probably reasonable if both services are on the same box and there are no other significant memory consumers on the box.

Re the Memory Allocation Delta.  I interpret this to be the memory required for the loaded document. I would not add the physical file size.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I spoke with an architect from Qlik and he provided me with the correct definitions:

BEFORE RELOAD

Physical FileSize

Size of the qvw

(QVB memory usage after opening the document) - (QVB memory usage before opening the document). The important thing here is that this refers to opening the document but not loading the data into memory.

Available physical memory before open

Available physical memory before opening the document

Available physical memory after open

Available physical memory after opening the document

Total physical memory

Total is the key word

LOG SAMPLE: Physical FileSize=166.22 Mb. Memory Allocation Delta for this file=3.14 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Open=2940.29 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Open=2935.09 Mb. Total Physical Memory=4095.55 Mb.

• We see 3.14MB recorded as the allocation delta as the data has not been opened and the reload has not run yet.

AFTER RELOAD

(QVB memory usage after reload) - (QVB memory usage before reload)

Available physical memory before reload

Available physical memory before doing the reload

Available physical memory after reload

Available physical memory after doing the reload

Total physical memory

Available physical memory

From 12.20 onwards, this is changed to "Available physical memory".

LOG SAMPLE: Memory Allocation Delta for this file=368.16 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Reload=2935.08 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Reload=2751.88 Mb. Total Physical Memory=2751.88 Mb.

• The memory allocation delta reported here is more in line with what I was expecting. It is higher than the footprint it takes to open the app, but this metric accounts for how much memory it took to complete the reload.